3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 6:38 AM by JeffSchurman

Server 13 doesn't allow me to Preview a report like it does in FM Pro Advanced

JeffSchurman

Summary

Server 13 doesn't allow me to Preview a report like it does in FM Pro Advanced

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I created a work in progress report for colleagues to print, save to PDF, or save to Excel. In FM Pro Advanced (which I have) the reports display fine; in Preview mode there are (2) buttons to save the report in Excel or PDF; perfect. However, in Server 13, I can only print or print to PDF the first page of the report; and there is no Preview function. The report in Server 13 looks and functions terribly. What's up with that?

Workaround

My workaround has been to print the report as an Excel spreadsheet and send it to my colleagues daily. Not a very efficient system, but it keeps my boss off my back...  for now.

FM_Screenshots.jpg

• 1. Re: Server 13 doesn't allow me to Preview a report like it does in FM Pro Advanced
          RickWhitelaw

This question is confusing. FMS is not an application. You must be using FMP to access the server, no? Then FMP should be handling all the rendering and saves/sends etc locally on the client machine.

• 2. Re: Server 13 doesn't allow me to Preview a report like it does in FM Pro Advanced
            Fred(CH)

Hello there,

As far as we can see on screenshot provided, Jeff is talking about FileMaker WebDirect.

And true, Preview Mode is not supported on it.

Although it can be obvious for an experienced FileMaker developer, it seem that this lack of WebDirect is not very well documented : I didn't find any reference to Preview Mode on the FileMaker WebDirect Guide !

However, you can find it on this KB article : Feature comparison for FileMaker Pro and FileMaker WebDirect. It actually appears at the 8th bullet point of Unsupported Features paragraph.

Also, on the script editor window, bottom left corner, if you display FileMaker WebDirect compatibility, you will be able to see all the unsupported steps greyed out, as Preview Mode.

Courage, Fred

• 3. Re: Server 13 doesn't allow me to Preview a report like it does in FM Pro Advanced
              JeffSchurman

Thank you for getting in touch.

I have FM Pro Advanced on my desktop. My (2) remote co-workers use FM WebDirect. FM Server 13 is on a PC in the corner of my office.

I'm new to FM and still trying to get my arms around it. Definitely a 2 step forward 1 step back slog. My employer has been patient so far but is sending signals suggesting that FM is not much of an upgrade from our old Excel spreadsheet in Google Docs workflow management system.  So I'm a bit frustrated and wondering if, as the new guy to this small family-owned biz operating on a shoestring, I made a career-ending decision with FM 13. Too late to marry the bosses daughter.... 

Thank you for the points in the right direction. I will take your advice and run with it. Or my replacement will surprise

Jeff