7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 1:18 PM by WoodApple

Server Admin oddities

User29172

Summary

Server Admin oddities

Description of the issue

We've incurred periodic issues with FMSv10 Server Admin. First, when we select a few databases and close them, they get stuck in a "closing" state with no user connections. If we then connect to the closing database and disconnect, then they finally close. Second, closed file connections do not always refresh. The db status shows as closed, but clicking on the DB name shows a connection. 

• 1. Re: Server Admin oddities
          TSGal

andyknas:

Thank you for your post.

We've seen quite a few users experiencing this issue, although we have been unable to duplicate it.  From the people who have reported this, the only commonality I have seen (so far) is this occurs after a Backup.  Can you confirm?

This only seems to affect Admin Console, as FileMaker Server continues to run properly.  At this time, quitting and restarting the Admin Console has been the only workaround.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Server Admin oddities
            User29172
               Uhm, yes, we run backups.
            • 3. Re: Server Admin oddities
              TSGal

andyknas:

Thanks for the information.

To continue with that, when you have these "periodic issues", do you know what was occurring just prior to noticing this?  I don't expect you to remember, but if you could write down in the future what has occurred, it might help us narrow down possible causes.

Also, let us know if you are running on Mac or Windows, and what version of the OS.  Thanks.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Server Admin oddities
                User29172

It seems to be an "over time" issue. The longer our server is running without a reboot, the more likely it is that we will experience this issue.

Our Server is Win 2003 with the latest service packs. Clients are varied, running different FMP flavors. 

• 5. Re: Server Admin oddities
                  WoodApple

I have FileMaker Server Admin 8.0v4 also running on windows server 2003.

I have been serving about 25 files to 25-35 users over a period of years.(clients have been FM8 and FM8.5)

Somthing I have noticed is that filemaker server seems to have problems whenever clients lose connection with it badly.

This could be clients crashing because of a printing issue or problems with network connections. The issue does not seem to show up on the server when the client crashes or the network goes down but only when closing the file on the server and then, not always. (but is the same behavior as what is described above). When the incidents of client crashes are low and the network is healthy, there is never a problem shutting down files or services.

• 6. Re: Server Admin oddities
                    TSGal

WoodApple:

Thank you for your post.

When you say "...filemaker server seems to have problems whenever clients lose connection with it badly."... What problems are you seeing?

If the client crashes, FileMaker Server did not receive a "close file" command from the client, so FileMaker Server still thinks the user is connected to the file.  You will either have to wait for the user to time out, force quit the user from Admin Console, or have the client log back in and close the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Server Admin oddities
                      WoodApple

TsGal,

I will try to take these in order:

QUOTE:

What problems are you seeing?

At the time of the client crash, the same user from the same IP may be logged on the server more than once. Users do seem to time out. This all acts as expected, it is only after a higher frequency of these incidents that a problem occurs when closing the file.

QUOTE cont.:

If the client crashes, FileMaker Server did not receive a "close file" command from the client, so FileMaker Server still thinks the user is connected to the file.  You will either have to wait for the user to time out, force quit the user from Admin Console, or have the client log back in and close the file.

These are not always realistic in the real world. Power goes out, networks go down. For example: In our location, if the power goes down, I have approximately 15 users that would all lose power immediately, The ups on the server has approximately 15 minutes of power. After losing the users (Even if filemaker server does not show that they are connected any longer) the files are a lot less likely to close nicely (the server freezes up) at which point there are no options but to recover what you can and restore from a backup after the power comes back on.

I consider filemaker server relying on the client to tell it when it disconnected to be a serious flaw and I suspect that it would prevent corruption in hosted files if the server app handled these events better.