Server crashes on virtual machines when calling gettimeofday

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

11, various sub versions

Operating system version

OS X 10.6

Description of the issue

We have two scenarios where clients are running their copy of FileMaker Server in an OS X virtual machine environment.  In every case, periodically FileMaker Server will crash with the crashreporter log showing the Java function "gettimeofday" being called on the crashed thread.

Googling Parallels and "gettimeofday" yields some interesting results where the VM environment is causing Java processes to crash when calling that function.

An interesting fix in this parallels support entry for a particular Virtuozzo build states:
      http://kb.parallels.com/en/11248

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      3. KNOWN ISSUES

gettimeofday() might work incorrectly on systems that use the PM timer. This may
      affect your system in different ways, for example:
      - In some applications, time may go backward, causing segmentation faults.
      - "top" might show very high load average values.
      - JAVA processes may hang.

To work around this problems, set the "vdso=0" kernel option.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea how to modify kernel options, nor if it is even possible with Parallels Server, but the problem also occurs on a copy of VM Fusion, OS X environment with FM Server running.

Interestingly... it does NOT crash on another client's VM running Windows.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Excerpts of CrashReporter log entries:

fmserverd_2011-06-01-162356_Golden-Eye-Server
      Thread 23 Crashed:
      0   libSystem.B.dylib                  0xffff0315 __gettimeofday + 53 (cpu_capabilities.h:237)
      1   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x93b83f19 gettimeofday + 50

fmserverd_2011-05-19-114940_Golden-Eye-Server
      Thread 9 Crashed:
      0   libSystem.B.dylib                  0xffff0315 __gettimeofday + 53 (cpu_capabilities.h:237)
      1   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x93b83f19 gettimeofday + 50
      2   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x93b88ca0 time + 47

fmserverd_2011-05-10-131706_Golden-Eye-Server
      Thread 51 Crashed:
      1   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x93649f19 gettimeofday + 50

fmserverd_2011-04-22-123033_Golden-Eye-Server
      Thread 70 Crashed:

fmserverd_2011-04-06-141320_Golden-Eye-Server
      Thread 59 Crashed:

Workaround

None.  Perhaps installing a Windows environment instead?

• 1. Re: Server crashes on virtual machines when calling gettimeofday
          Markus Schneider

not sure if i get this right: They are running parallels on a Mac and FMS is running under parallels?

• 2. Re: Server crashes on virtual machines when calling gettimeofday
            user9753

Correct.  They have an XServe or MacPro with gobs of RAM running 5 or 6 OS X virtual machines inside, one or more of them hosting FM Server.  Works great, except for this occasional hiccup which ends up taking down the fmserverd process.

• 3. Re: Server crashes on virtual machines when calling gettimeofday
              rmanook

Hi SlyBriFry,

Thanks for posting.

By chance, are you running a third party software RightZoom on your machine?  There have been other customer reports (albeit in older versions of FileMaker on Snow Leopard) indicating similar symptoms possibly related to the gettimeofday message.

Here is the thread for further view:
              http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/8f19448b86?post=8f19448b86&start=11

Here is a post concerning RightZoom:

"Okay, I think I figured out this problem, and I don't think it's a networking issue at all. I think it was a conflict with a 3rd-party piece of software I had on my computer called RightZoom <http://www.blazingtools.com/downloads.html>, which is a great little utility that makes the Mac's green "maximize" button act the way a maximize button is SUPPOSED to act — the way that Microsoft got it right with Windows.

I told RightZoom to no longer be active in FileMaker, and FileMaker seems to be behaving properly again."

If RightZoom is not installed, please allow me to verify a few items:
              -FileMaker Server version?
              -Single or Multiple Machine configuration?
              -How many times a day does this happen?  
              -Have any benchmarks been created i.e. logging what times the crashes occurred and, if possible, what users and/or other applications were doing at that time?

Also, please provide any troubleshooting steps already performed or any additional information about the system/configuration that might be relevant. 

Thanks,
              tsturtle
              FileMaker, Inc