AnsweredAssumed Answered

Server files opening slower and slower

Question asked by PeterWagemans on Jul 23, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 by PeterWagemans

Summary

Server files opening slower and slower

Description of the issue

As the complexity of solutions at customer sites increases, more and more external references are made between the files on the server, even when these files contain multiple tables and are already quite independant. Linking tables externally is sometimes part of the backup strategy as well. I noticed that more external references mean an EXPONENTIAL increase in the time it takes to open all files on the server.Taking a sample of the server process teaches me that the server is trying to find and probably link stuff, but apparantly it's not doing this very effectively. At some customer sites, we are at a half hour opening time for about 100 files. A few months ago, that was still 20 minutes for the same amount of files. I'm starting to get worried. I've experimented a bit with external references, but the results are not very conclusive. I've tried "file:" type references, and "fmnet:" type references with hard coded IP addresses.One thing is for sure. When you have openened files with some external references, any subsequent opening of other files, even very simple ones, will be significantly slower.So it seems like FileMaker is matching any external references it already has in all opened files against the file it is opening. And not doing a very good job if I may say so.For example: Open 1 file on the server that has 10 external references defined. Then open 99 other files that do not even have tables in them. The first 10 open instantly, the last one takes more than a second to open. Try the same thing without step 1, and notice the difference. Not a big deal, but imagine you have 2 files with some external references open, it would take double that time + the time for the 2nd file itself. There's probably a fancy formula that can be made here. The time increases when more and more external refs are added to files , and the increase in time is not linear. We will probably be forced RSN to split the files over several servers, not because of any server limitation, but simply the opening time of the files. If anyone knows a way to make files open faster on the server - I would be eternaly obliged...:-)I thought about posting this in the Server forum, but when I come to think about it, it's probably a bug that can be fixed. 

Outcomes