1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 12, 2012 8:52 PM by 0614775139

Server looses ODBC connection to SQL database locking client in error condition

roadstar

Summary

Server looses ODBC connection to SQL database locking client in error condition

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 Professional

Description of the issue

User is working in a layout for a SQL table (modifying fields)and  will get an error message that the ODBC connection has been lost and cannot be re-established. Anything the user does (clicks on) in the layout, including trying to close it, causes the error message to pop up.  User must use Windoes task manager to force quit from Filemaker.  User can switch to other databases they may have open but switching back still pops the error dialog.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) MS SQL Server 2008 running on Windows Server 2008 Std.
      2) Filemaker Server 12 Advanced running on Windows 7 Professional
      3) Full time VPN connection between SQL network (offsite hosting) and Filemaker network(3 T1's out).
      4) Filemaker Pro on Client running Windows 7 Professional. (100 base connection to Filemaker Server.
      5) User has full Read/Write privileges to all open databases/tables.

Expected result

Filemaker automatically re-establishes the connection to the relavent sql table.

Actual result

Filemaker is effectively 'locked up'.  User can't even close the database.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

ODBC communication/link error. Please check your network connection and/or database server.

Configuration information

see 'Steps to Reproduce' above.

Workaround

none

FMP_ODBC_Error.png

• 1. Re: Server looses ODBC connection to SQL database locking client in error condition

I have the same issue, once the error comes up the only way to quit is to force quit.

This error persists even though the ODBC connection is re-established.

I have confirmed this by going to the system DSN and clicking on "Test" and get "connection is successful". So it seems like once FMP loses the connection it does not retry.

There is also an option in the driver "Enable automatic reconnect" but this makes no difference because it's FMP that's not reconnecting to the driver.

I see thst this error was also reported in version 10 so it doesn't look like any effort has been put into fixing it. A bit of a shame I was hoping to avoid creating mirror tables and all the syncing issues that go along with that.

At the very least you should be able to close your files without force quitting.

- MS SQL Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 Std.

- FMP 12 Advanced 12.0v2