Thank you for your post.
Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate the problem. This is what I have done using FileMaker Pro 10 on Mac OS X 10.5.7:
1. I created a new table, "a", with the following fields:
2. I removed field3 from the layout.
3. In Browse Mode, I pulled down the View menu and selected "View as Table". Only field1 and field2 display.
4. I clicked the "Modify" button and added field3, and all three columns now display.
5. I added 100+ records, where 60+ records contained "whatever" in field1.
6. I created a script, "table a test", with the following script steps:
Go to Layout [ "a" ]
Show All Records
Go to Record/Request/Page [ First ]
If [ a::field1 = "whatever" ]
Set Field [ a::field2 ; "text a" ]
Set Field [ a::field3 ; "text b" ]
Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next ; Exit after last ]
When I execute the loop, there is an entry "text b" in field3 for every occurrence of field1 = "whatever".
If you want me to add more records, or try with another version or platform, let me know.
Its kind of interesting that FM does not throw an error when you make mistakes like...
set field(table1::field 1;table1::field1 = "textb") it just puts in garbage...
Why would it throw an error?
You are telling it to Set a Field, table1::field 1
to in this case a boolean test of: table1::field1 = "textb"