Summary

SetFieldByName does not recognize the target Field Name

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

I am trying to use SetFieldByName Script Step (see below) but in Debug Mode it returns the Error: 102 (Field is Missing). However, the field I am using exists in the Table and is inserted in the Specify Target Field command line through clicking it in the respective table (not by typing). I am wondering what might be problem with this command:

Set Field by Name ["A1100: Cloning_Pojects v5.0 Vector Arrays: Main::ttt"; $Vec_Field]

Expected result

Field:

A1100: Cloning_Pojects v5.0 Vector Arrays: Main::ttt

should contain a specified in variable $Vec_Field text value
      ($Vec_Field contains the proper text revealed in the Debug mode)

Actual result

Field:

A1100: Cloning_Pojects v5.0 Vector Arrays: Main::ttt

Remains Blank

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Error: 102 (in the Debug Mode -> Field is missing)

• 1. Re: SetFieldByName does not recognize the target Field Name
          philmodjunk

What you report has two possible known causes:

1.           "A1100: Cloning_Pojects v5.0 Vector Arrays: Main" may not be an accessible Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? at the time that this script step executes. This is determined by the table occurrence specified by the layout that is current at that point in time and the relationships that link it to other table occurrences.
          3.           "A1100: Cloning_Pojects v5.0 Vector Arrays: Main::ttt" might not be the exact table occurrence or field name to use. If you are off by even one character, you'll get this result.

Or the complex table occurrence name that you have here has encountered a bug. But you'll need to carefully test the above two possible causes to rule them out. Since you are using quoted text to name the field, I'd suggest using the standard set field script step. Even if you plan to replace your quoted text with a field, variable or calculation, that will help check item 1.

• 2. Re: SetFieldByName does not recognize the target Field Name
            DmitryVassylyev

To:  PhilModJunk

Thanks again for your kind response to my query.

To find out an origin of the issue I have created a test Table and run a small script (below) using the different Table and/or Field names. It turned out that SetFieldByName does not recognize a colon sign (:) placed in any position within a Table Name. Colon, however, does not affect a Field name. Strangely, however, with the Table names including the colon sign SetFieldByName comes up with the Error: 102, "Field missing" rather than "Table missing".

Test Script Examples:

=====================

1. Colon in the Field Name:

Set Variable [$$ttt; GetFieldName ( A1100 Cloning_Pojects v5.0 Vector Arrays Main::A1000: ttt )]

Set Field By Name [$$ttt; "OK"]

Field defined by the $$ttt Variable is set to "OK" properly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Colon in the Table Name:

Set Variable [$$ttt; GetFieldName ( A1100: Cloning_Pojects v5.0 Vector Arrays Main::ttt )]

Set Field By Name [$$ttt; "OK"]

SetFieldByName returns ERROR: 102 (Field is missing).

=================================================================================

I am wondering should I report this bug directly to the FileMaker Team (not only through the Forum) and if "yes" what is the best way to do this?

I am sorry, I am a newcomer to the Forum and was struggling a little to find out how may I answer specifically to your Comment. At some point, I have pressed the "Abuse Report" option by mistake. I am not aware what does this mean but just would like to make certain that there is, of course, no any "abuse" to your comments on my side. 

• 3. Re: SetFieldByName does not recognize the target Field Name
              philmodjunk

You have reported your bug in the correct place. It's now up to a TS person working for FileMaker to take your report and either confirm your findings and add it to their database of bugs or ask further questions to nail this down if they are unable to recreated the same error.

• 4. Re: SetFieldByName does not recognize the target Field Name
                TSGal

Dmitry Vassylyev:

Thank you for your posts.

I am able to replicate the issue in FileMaker Pro 11, FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Pro 13, on both Windows and Mac OS X.

I have forwarded your posts along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: SetFieldByName does not recognize the target Field Name
                  philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 6. Re: SetFieldByName does not recognize the target Field Name
                    TSGal

Dmitry Vassylyev:

Our Testing department has replicated the issue and sent the information to Development for further review.

For now, do not use colons in a Table name.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: SetFieldByName does not recognize the target Field Name
                      TSGal

Dmitry Vassylyev:

Our Development department has sent back the information that colons are reserved symbols for field names and file names.  This is documented in FileMaker Pro Help at the bottom of page 208 and at the bottom of page 167:

http://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fmp13_help.pdf

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.