3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2012 4:31 PM by philmodjunk

Setting object fill attribute with toolbar item cannot be changed with fill item in Inspector

arnoldkegebein

Summary

Setting object fill attribute with toolbar item cannot be changed with fill item in Inspector

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

After changing an object fill to none using the toolbar, changing a fill color with the Inspector is getting complicated:

You cannot use the Inspector fill item directly. Selecting a color will not change the fill of the object.
      Reason: FileMaker changed the opacity of the object to 0%.

But when you change the line color of the object to none, you can change it back to a color using the Inspector line color item.

There are different workarounds possible (see below) but for a consistent program, were similar items act in a similar way, I like to see the default color popup for the Inspector fill color item. All other occurrence of color selectors will open the FileMaker color popup except the fill color item. Please change it.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create an object.
      Change the fill with the toolbar item to none.
      Try to apply a fill color with the Inspector.

Workaround

Different workarounds:
      (1) Select a fill color with the toolbar item.
      (2) In the Inspector change the fill type to None, then back to color (this will create already a white background for the object), then select the desired color.

• 1. Re: Setting object fill attribute with toolbar item cannot be changed with fill item in Inspector
          steveromig

AKegebein -

Thank you for your message.

If I am understanding the description of the issue you are reporting correctly - I believe it is working working as expected somewhat.

When you are setting the fill of an object to NONE using the Formatting Bar - I am assuming you are using the square in the color picker with the red line through it.  If you are not, let me know what you are doing to set the object fill to NONE.

When you change the fill of an object (for example, a rectangle) to NONE, you are setting the opacity to 0%.  Then, when you switch to the Inspector and attempt to apply a fill, FileMaker Pro doesn't assume you automatically want to remove the opacity setting when you choose a new fill - although you could make the argument that it should.  So, in your case, you would also need to adjust the opacity to something other than 0% for the fill to display as expected.

I understand, what is confusing, is why the color works if you choose it again from the Formatting Bar.  In this case, since there is a implicit "transparency" color in the color picker, the other color fills are implicitly not transparent.  So that is why your workaround works.  And choosing NONE from the Inspector and then back to a fill also works since it removes the transparency attribute from that object.

In any event, I will submit this issue to our Development team for future consideration as it could be a little easier to use and understand.

TSShark
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Setting object fill attribute with toolbar item cannot be changed with fill item in Inspector
            arnoldkegebein

You got it right, I was using the square in the color picker with the red line through it. I understand that the opacity changed to 0% and, yes, I agree that this is somehow an expected behavior (from FileMaker developer view).

But I met already two users running into this "problem". They instisted that this is a bug. In their words: "I changed the color to 'no color' (NONE). I did not change the opacity."

I think, the confusion is coming from the different behavior of the fill color button in the Inspector. Every other color button (three color buttons in the toolbar for text color, line color and fill color, and three color buttons in the Inspector for line color, baseline color and tet color) will open the FileMaker color picker palette. In each of them you can select "Other Color…" and it will open the floating window "Colors" where you can select any color and change the opacity. It is only the awkward large color button for fill color that will go straight to the floating window "Colors".

Also, there is no problem when the do similar changes with the line color (selecting NONE in the toolbar, then selecting a color in the Inspector). At least this is inconcistent program behavior.

The user makes color picker experiences in six out of seven places where he can switch between NONE and any color from the color palette. Then he uses the fill color button in the Inspector and he does not understand the worldFileMaker anymore. It would be easy to fix it by changing the default behavior of the fill color button to open the FileMaker color picker palette.

Thank you for reading my post. This is just a minor bug (with different workarounds available). There are other, more serious bugs out there. Fix them first. Wink

Arnold Kegebein

• 3. Re: Setting object fill attribute with toolbar item cannot be changed with fill item in Inspector
              philmodjunk

And in past versions, changing the fill pattern to transparent, then selecting the color, automatically updated the fill pattern back to "solid" for you without needing to make two selections to get this change. Thus, experienced users get suprised by the behavior change...