Shift-drag in layout mode works inconveniently at best

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP 12.0v1

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

We're supposed to be able to hold Shift while dragging objects to constrain movement to the horizontal or vertical axis.  While this sort of works, FileMaker imposes some behavioral restrictions that make this feature difficult to use (or arguably unusable).

Problem 1:  To use Shift-dragging on multiple objects at once, you can't just Shift-click-and-drag on one of the objects, or else you'll just deselect what you clicked.  Instead, you either have to Shift-grab the final item with a sweeping motion in the direction you'll want to go, or you have to have all items selected first, grab one of the items, don't move, begin to hold Shift, and then proceed in the direction you want to move them.

Problem 2:  If (for instance while doing actions described in Problem 1) you begin to move even a hair in the direction you don't actually want to go in, you don't get a chance to move in the other direction on this particular move attempt.  For example, if I did the proper steps to avoid Problem 1 but I accidentally moved just a bit horizontally, I can now ONLY move horizontally; vertical snapping is disabled for that move (unless I release Shift, which leads to Problem 3).  This is unfriendly and not the behavior used by most applications with axis-locking.

Problem 3:  If I press Shift while beginning to move an object (or if I release Shift mid-move and then re-press it), horizontal/vertical movement is locked relative to the point where I began holding Shift most recently, not where the object originated.  Does anyone actually expect developers to frequently want to move an object to some arbitrary point and then suddenly (mid-move!) begin axis-locking FROM THAT ARBITRARY POINT?  Of course not - in the vast majority of cases, you want locking to lock from the object's origin.