Show custom dialog with input field crash FM Go

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

FM11v3

Operating system version

Win xp

Description of the issue

Using latest version of fm go, when using Show custom dialog including Input field, on use of button created in show custom dialog it crash FMGo.  The order of buttons is also out of sequence, 2 is 1, 3 is 2 and 1 is 3.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a show custom dialog with input field, assign the script to a button and try.

Expected result

Insert data in 'selected input field'

Actual result

Crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No errors appear

Workaround

Remove and relace all custom dialog including input field with field enabled in browse mode, but it defeat the purpose.  In makes FMGo unusable.  Is it possible yo restore previous version?

• 1. Re: Show custom dialog with input field crash FM Go
          rmanook

Martin Bertrand:

Thanks for posting.

This issue has been forwarded to our Development team and is currently being tracked in the following FileMaker Go Forum thread:
          http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/211185e265

For your convenience, here are two workarounds listed in the thread:

From TSGal:
          Testing has been able to replicate the problem consistently, but they have found a workaround.  If you put a .75 second delay before the Show Custom Dialog, it will not crash.  That is,

Pause/Resume Script [Duration (seconds): .75]
          Show Custom Dialog [ <your dialog information> ]

Using .5 seconds still crashes.

At this time, a slight delay is better than a crash.

Please report back if this works.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

-----------------

From PhilModJunk:

One workaround for avoiding show custom dialog (I often find it too limited for my needs), is to use New Window to pop open a new window for capturing the input. (This allows you to format your input fields with value lists and stuff.)

If you download the Known Bugs List database, you'll find several examples of how this can be done. Just be careful when you script and test your own. The method in this file uses an infinite loop with allow user abort [off] to make the small floating window modal just like a custom dialog. If you don't include at least one button on the floating window that uses halt script to halt this infinite loop, you can be trapped into a situation where you may have to force quit FileMaker.

Thanks,
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Show custom dialog with input field crash FM Go
            MatthewMackay

Pause/Resume Script [Duration (seconds): .75]

This still crashes in my solution.

• 3. Re: Show custom dialog with input field crash FM Go
              MatthewMackay

Seems to work ok when there are 2 input fields and both have data entered in to them

• 4. Re: Show custom dialog with input field crash FM Go
                GaryWebber

Why not allow us to roll-back? 

it's not fair to those of us who support you from the early on-set that we are forced into debugging version after version.

Some of us have ipads & iphones deployed in mission critical situations, and you put all of our credibility at stake when your product fails like this.

We have placed iPads in the hands of dozens of medical professionals across the country to manage important client medical files, so a scriptstep like custom-dialogue appears frequently throughout our solution.

I am simply amazed that something like this could get through testing and actually be released.

Pause/Resume Script [Duration (seconds): .75] - Does not work in our solution

Seems to work ok when there are 2 input fields and both have data entered in to them - we agree, this has worked for us.

• 5. Re: Show custom dialog with input field crash FM Go
                  TimothyNees

I have experienced what I believe is the same issue you describe.  The workaround I preferred was use the get(lastmessagechoice)=  function

it looks something like this if you are using only one button

Show Custom Dialog

if(getlastmessagechoice)=1

end if

I also have many scripts using Show Custom dialog with three buttons and of course the if(getlasmessagechoice) function is a must with more than 1 button and i have no crash problems on Ipad or Iphone.

I have not had a crash since using this solution to that particular problem I experienced if its the same as what you described.