4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2009 3:58 AM by cranstonit

Show/Hide Formatting Toolbar Button Grayed out when using Custom Menus in FM 10

cranstonit

Summary

Show/Hide Formatting Toolbar Button Grayed out when using Custom Menus in FM 10

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 10.0v1, FileMaker Pro 10.0v3,FileMaker Pro Adv 10.0v1, FileMaker Pro Adv 10.0v3, Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.5.7Mac 10.5.8  Not able to test on other machines Detailed description of the issue:When a custom menu set in a database that was created with an earlier version of FileMaker ( FM 7 in this case ) is active the Formatting Toolbar Button is grayed out.   In FM Adv if you change back to the default Menu set the problem is instantly resolved.  Select the Custom Menu set and the problem comes back. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1. Open a database that was created with FM Pro 7 ( either locally or over a network - doesn't matter ) 2. In FM Pro Advanced 10 change the Menu set to the default "Customer Menu Set" or any other menu set Expected Result:The "Show or Hide the Formatting Bar" but should stay clickable Actual Result:The "Show or Hide the Formatting Bar" grays outExact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/AAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:1.  I have verified that databases created from scratch in FM 10 do not exhibit this same problem. 2. Doesn't seem to be related to any specific custom menu item, but custom menus in general. Any workarounds that you have found:I have not found any.

• 1. Re: Show/Hide Formatting Toolbar Button Grayed out when using Custom Menus in FM 10
          TSGal

phcranston:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate the problem with FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 running OS X 10.5.8.  I created a database file in FileMaker Pro 7 with three fields and one record.  I quit and launched FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 Advanced.  I opened the file and set the default Custom menu to Custom Menu Set 1.  I quit and launched FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Advanced and opened the file.  The Custom menu is set to Custom Menu Set 1.  I am able to pull down the View menu and turn on and off "Formatting Bar".  When I put my cursor in the field, my Formatting Bar displays Helvetica, 12 point, black fill and all other options are available.

Please let me know what I can do to replicate the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Show/Hide Formatting Toolbar Button Grayed out when using Custom Menus in FM 10
            cranstonit

Try creating a file with FileMaker Pro Advanced 8 instead of 7.   I did some more testing and found that the problem is with files created with FMPA 8.   I thought the file I was working in was created with FMPD 7, but I must have been mistaken.

I was able to consistently recreate the issue by doing the following:

I created a database file in FileMaker Pro Adv 8 with three fields and one record.  I quit and launched FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Advanced.  I opened the file and set the default Custom menu to Custom Menu Set 1.  I quit and launched FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Advanced and opened the file.  The Custom menu is set to Custom Menu Set 1.  When I pull down the View menu the "Customize Status Toolbar..." and "Formatting Bar" are missing.  The "Formatting Bar" icon on the toolbar is also grayed.

Note:  This does NOT happen with files originally created in FP 7 and then later modified.  I tested this as well and found no issue. 

• 3. Re: Show/Hide Formatting Toolbar Button Grayed out when using Custom Menus in FM 10
              TSGal

phcranston:

Thanks for your continuing to pursue this.  I can definitely replicate the issue.

I have forwarded the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.