9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 8:51 AM by TSGal

Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.

d4creative

Summary

Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 6.1.3  iPad 2

Description of the issue

I have a layout for generating a PDF report.
      It uses LIST mode with:
      header
      leading grand summary (as a Cover page and T.O.C.)
      body
      trailing grand summary (as an index page)
      and footer.

The leading grand summary is two pages long and is set to have a page break after it. Each body part (each record in the list) can be up to two pages long but is set to shrink as it can be as little as a few lines of text also.  The resulting document may be up to 36 or so pages long (it varies with optional records being inserted or left out of each report generated).

After the first page of body content the body content begins to run the full length of the page and overprints on the footer. The section of text which overlaps the footer is then repeated at the top of the next page.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a large/long layout with leading grand summary and body parts. Make the body section have a long text field which can shrink upwards and fill with text records.

Print as a PDF on Filemaker Go 12 and see the content overlapping badly.

A have tried this both with and without Title Header and Title footer also. It makes no difference.

Expected result

I expect that the body part should stay within the body part!

Actual result

Body part content overlapps into the footer area.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message.

Configuration information

I have checked all kinds of font zoom settings etc and all are set to normal/default.

Workaround

None so far. I have wasted days of work trying to solve this in various ways. Not happy. >(

Screen_Shot_2013-08-28_at_10.25.13_AM.png

• 1. Re: Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.
          TSGal

David Dennis:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Therefore, I would like to see a copy/clone of your file so I can determine why it is failing.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send your file.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.
            philmodjunk

This one has been previously reported:

For More Information see:     Sliding up printed objects miscalculating the length of Body part

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 3. Re: Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.
              TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the link, as it did help lead me to the issue.

That particular issue was related to the Classic Theme, but a related issue led me to the issue with Summary parts and Trailing Grand Summary affecting the Body extending into the Footer.  These also appear to be connected to the Classic Theme.  All similar issues have been sent to Development.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.
                d4creative

Philmodjunk:

I am not convinced it is an identical issue as the previous report was for Windows and did not have exactly the same symptoms.

Also I have no sub-summary part so the answer supplied is not relevant.

Having the issue related to a classic theme does not fix the issue. I want a PDF output without all the fancy CSS3 piccies and crap. I want a blank paper output with normal text (i.e. 8 - 10pt with normal spacing etc). I need to be able to create a custom layout that is not locked in to what some other theme designer thinks is a good spacing. All my clients typically want to optimise how much they fit into their reports etc so I am always needing a custom layout.Every single one of the themes supplied is deisgned to look good on screen but not for printing.

I believe the issue is something to do with a major difference in font rendering on the iPad. The amount of space that text takes up on a page varies a LOT between Mac, Windows and iPad.

David

• 5. Re: Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.
                  philmodjunk

Have you tested this layout in FileMaker Pro? Did you get similar results?

To quote TSGal in the other thread:

"In essence, there have been similar issues reported, and they all appear to be related to the Classic Theme and trailing summaries."

Given that you have a trailing grand summary part, that seems very similar to what you have here except for the fact that it is in FM GO.

You might experiment with a themed layout, but use the tool in the inspector to remove the formatting from your fields and then, if necessary, change the part backgrounds to plain white. If this only happens for classic themed layouts, that would seem the best available work around to try.

• 6. Re: Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.
                    d4creative

The problem does not happen in Filemaker Pro, only Go (v12).

Changing to another theme and then removing the formatting does seem to work. But this is still a bug (or at least bad CSS or something).

I am also trying to fix the text lines being cut in half. Am trying mathematical sizing of parts to see if that can be resolved, but this is also is a bug. Filemaker Go has issues rendering font line spacing correctly (although perhaps that also is "Classic" theme related), which makes it tricky to calculate the actual size of lines etc.

• 7. Re: Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.
                      TSGal

David Dennis and PhilModJunk:

I received the file and I am unable to replicate the issue on FileMaker Go 12.0.6.  When I realized I wasn't using the current version, I updated to FileMaker Go 12.0.7, and I was still unable to replicate the issue.  iPad screen shots and the resulting PDF file have been sent to our Technical Support contact, and those should be sent out shortly.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.
                        TSGal

I have been able to replicate the issue, thanks to a step I left out (Found Set vs. Current Record).  At this point, I'm unsure what is causing the issue, so it has been sent to Development and Testing for review.  I'll keep everyone posted as information becomes available.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Sliding up body part cuts off text and overlaps footer.
                          TSGal

Testing has confirmed this is a previously reported issue with FileMaker Go and the iOS text engine.  Development is aware of the issue.  No other information is available at this time.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.