3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2009 11:09 AM by TSGal

Sliding/printing in Body with Summary part

rtrigg_1

Summary

Sliding/printing in Body with Summary part

Description of the issue

I'm in FM 10 on Mac OSX 10.4.11.  I had this sliding printing problem in FM9 and was hoping it would go away in FM10, but it's still here.  I have a simple layout with two parts, a small sub-summary part with room for one field, and a big body part.  I place the ID field of the table in the summary part and the Notes field in the body part.  I stretch the Notes field to be tall enough to fill the entire body part, I turn on sliding/printing for it, and I check "Also reduce the size of the enclosing part".  When I sort by ID and switch to Preview mode, I see that the page size has effectively shrunk vertically in inverse proportion to the size of my stretched field.  The taller I make it, the fewer records appear per page.  With the body part (and its field) the size of a full page, I only get one record per page.   The content of the Notes field seems to be irrelevant - in fact you can put the ID field itself in both summary and body parts and get the same results.  What is important is that the field you summarize on changes value fairly frequently through your found set. (Needless to say, the problem goes away if you delete the summary part.) Am I missing a logic behind this seemingly buggy behavior?  Better yet, is there a workaround? Thanks!    - Randy

• 1. Re: Sliding/printing in Body with Summary part
          TSGal

rtrigg:

Thank you for your post.

I cannot duplicate the problem.  Make sure the field in the Body is NOT touching the Header part.  If it touches, then the field becomes part of the Header and it will print one per page.

If you still are having difficulty, you can send me a clone of your file, and I will look at it.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Sliding/printing in Body with Summary part
            rtrigg_1

Thanks so much for your response.  I couldn't find those instructions for sending you a file, but no matter.  I'm going to the FileMaker Developers conference this weekend (my first), and unless I find a fix in the meantime, will try to bring this issue to the tech support table.  

Thanks again,

- Randy 

• 3. Re: Sliding/printing in Body with Summary part
              TSGal

rtrigg:

To access the private message, go to the top of this web page.  On the right side, just below the blue bar, it should say "1 Message" (or maybe more).  Click where it says "1 Message" and it will take you to the incoming private messages.

Although I will probably not be at the Developer's Conference, please feel free to drop by the Technical Support table.  They should certainly be able to assist you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.