Slow printing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 & 12 Advanced

Operating system version

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit & XP Pro 32 bit sp3

Description of the issue

New installation of FMP12 v 02 (FMP & FMP Advance).  All is well, however, I have come hard against an issue with printing taking extremely long.  We use the database for recording quarry product sales and some reports can be 15 pages or more.  The previous version that was being used was FMP 9.  Due to version 9's end of support and with a recent computer upgrade, it was decided to update Filemaker to the most recent version.  I am happy with the features version 12 has compared to version 9 with exception to slow printing processing time.  I figure it is taking about 5 minutes just to print one page.  Version 9 could do the 15 page report in less than a minute.  So not sure what is wrong here.  I did a little research on-line and see that there are many other users with the same issue.

The computer that the main database resides on is a PC running and 8 core AMD processor with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  The installed memory is 6GB.  I have another computer (my laptop) that I have installed FMP 12 Advanced and the same issue with printing is occurring.  The laptop is a Panasonic CF-73 Toughbook running Windows XP Professional with only 1GB ram at 1.3 GHz.  Somewhat under nourished for what FMP would like but it is running fine, except the printing issue.

The printing issue is severe enough to impact my operation.  I have temporarily scripted a work around by exporting the reports to a PDF file and then calling that file to be printed.  That is working (a little sluggish) but defiantly not as bad a trying to print directly.

By the way, the printer is a Konica-Minolta Bizhub C451 and has been fine when running FMP 9 previously, with the exception of FMP 9 crashing on occasion with certain layouts. Our HP and Xerox printers did not cause this issue on FMP9.  The slow printing with FMP12 occurs on all printers.

I posted this here as recommend by a FileMaker sales rep that contacted me after the purchase, asking how the installed, etc. went.  I was also asked to call technical service as well, which I will do after posting this.

Thanks for any help,
      Rick

Steps to reproduce the problem

Tried printing directly from layout without using any scrips.  Same issue.

Expected result

Expected to print report without long delay.

Actual result

FMP 9 would print a similar report in less than a minute.  FMP 12 same report maybe and hour or so.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

Local data base or via network has no impact on problem.

Workaround

Convert file to PDF and print.  Not a realistic solution, as this is still working slower than FMP 9 was prior to upgrade.

• 1. Re: Slow printing

RickM:

Thank you for your post.

This issue was previously reported. I have gone ahead and forwarded your research to our Development and Testing departments.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Slow printing
            philmodjunk

For More Information see:     Filemaker 12 Slow Printing

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 3. Re: Slow printing
              RickM

Update on slow printing.

I have found a possible good work around to the slow printing issue.

After I copied all the field, etc. on a problem layout to blank layout that I set up with say number and type of parts I was able to get a faster print job.  (The original layout had been created on filemaker 8 or 9 and had work fine before, of course).  I was not happy with the thought of having to rebuild all the layout like this, so I decided to find out, if possible, what the hangup was.  I found that the original layout main body had all the fields boarders set as engraved and the body background as an image.  I think the import to filemaker pro 12 crated the background image so as to match the looks of what was originally made.  So, this is what I did so far at it is working:

In the inspector, change all the fields in the body of the layout to no fill with a solid line.  Change the body background to solid color.  You may want to experiment with other settings, but in my case this is working out fine.

I did not originally purposely create my layouts with the fills and engrave styles, but this was done by filemaker pro 8 or 9 automatically in, I think, the report wizard did this.  I am fine with simple layouts, so no problem.  When Filemaker Pro 12 converted the old format, it may have did something sloppy, don't know.  It may be that if you crate the layout (recreate) a layout to "look" the same manually in 12 that it may workout okay.

I hope this helps others with the slow printing problem.

As a side note: when you make the changes mentioned, you will see a noticeable change when going to preview as well.  My sales report that took, perhaps, an hour now prints in a few seconds!!!

Thanks all,

Rick