Summary

Slow printing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Since upgrading to version 11, printing has been excessively slow.  With version 8(Windows 7), printing was efficient.  It makes no difference whether there is a huge database or not.  Calculations, scripts, find, sort etc. are instantaneous, so this issue with printing is very frustrating. This happens every time, whether one is printing one record or many.  The programme hangs for about 30 seconds before the printer is activated.

Steps to reproduce the problem

This happens with every print job.

Expected result

Instantaneous reaction from the printer.

Actual result

It takes about 30 seconds before data is sent to the printer.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

Printer is an Epson Aculaser Colour - C2800 - but I don't think this is an issue with the printer, as it is fine with every other programme.  I have also noted that many others have been having similar problems.

• 1. Re: Slow printing

Eileen Waterston:

Thanks for posting!

Do you get this behavior in a new database?

What version of the driver are you using? You may want to check the manufacturer's website for updates.

If possible, try printing to a different printer and let us know the results. It would also be helpful to test from a different computer to the same printer.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Slow printing
            EileenWaterston

TSBear:

Thanks for your response.  I tried a new, very small, database and had the same problem.  I can't test from another computer as I only have Filemaker on one computer.  I shall set up another printer to see what happens.

Eileen Waterston

• 3. Re: Slow printing
              EileenWaterston

TSBear:

I connected to another printer (HP Laserjet 1015) and had the same result:  a long wait of a minimum of 30 seconds on Filemaker before data is sent to the printer, compared to an instantaneous reaction from any other programme.  This is even when only printing 1 page from 1 record.

Eileen Waterston

• 4. Re: Slow printing
                EileenWaterston

TSBear:

For future reference, having had no further suggestions from Filemaker as to reasons for slow printing, I consulted our local PC company (PC Solutions - Perth) who checked computer activity between a print request and actual printing and found that activity was at 100%.  The problem was Kaspersky which was delaying the process.  We have changed to another company for internet security and it is printing instantaneously.  Hope this helps others who may have similar problems.

Regards

Eileen