3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 1:50 PM by MichaelGallagher

    Slow Script Debugger Performance with Data Viewer Open



      Slow Script Debugger Performance with Data Viewer Open


      FileMaker Pro



      Operating system version


      Description of the issue

      Very slow script debugger performance when the data viewer is open for some scripts. I've been able to reproduce this issue on 2 separate machines, but it doesn't occur on every machine we've tested. Issue is similar to issue reported for FM12 at http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/cb81925405.

      This issue occurred prior to upgrading to Yosemite and in previous versions of FM13.

      Steps to reproduce the problem

      Both script debugger and data viewer must be open simultaneously. Only occurs on very long, complex scripts. These files are legacy files that have been converted from fp7 to fmp12. This problem has been observed in two different files.

      Expected result

      Normal debugger operation.

      Actual result

      Delays occur at the following points: 1) When the script first opens in the debugger -- Script always fails to open on first click of button. On 2nd click it appears in script debugger. Then it disappears from debugger for approx. 45 seconds. Finally it reappears and the script can be executed. 2) When changing to some, but not all layouts. 3) When executing a new record script step 4) When importing records.

      Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

      In addition to the delays, when running from a local copy of the file, I receive a message of "Find in Progress" during the wait times. It occurs twice for each delay--disappearing briefly before returning. Please note that I am not receiving this message during the actual execution of a FIND. It occurs on seemingly unrelated script steps or at the opening of the script in the debugger.

      Configuration information

      Yosemite/FM13v5. It appears that this problem is somewhat related to the local cache as it is mitigated when running subsequent passes through the debugger. However, closing the file and reopening will cause the same long delays as before.


      Closing the data viewer. I have tried recovering the files, rebuilding the layouts, changing themes, rebuilding the scripts, but nothing seems to have a positive effect.

        • 1. Re: Slow Script Debugger Performance with Data Viewer Open

          Kenneth Piehl:

          Thank you for your post.

          Without seeing the script(s) and variables displayed, it's difficult to determine the cause.  Therefore, I would like to see a clone of your database file so Testing can determine the cause.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

          FileMaker, Inc.

          • 2. Re: Slow Script Debugger Performance with Data Viewer Open

            "very complex scripts" will result in the Data Viewer attempting (in most cases) a much larger set of fields and variables that will happen with simpler scripts. If some of those scripts are summary fields or use aggregate calculations (sum, count, average...) that refer to a very large set of records, this will further increase the "computation load".

            • 3. Re: Slow Script Debugger Performance with Data Viewer Open

              Thanks for reporting this, as I have the exact same issue.  I get a FIND thermometer repetitively as I step through the debugger.  Sometimes a dozen FIND interruptions per step, even on the COMMENT steps.  Never saw this before, back to original intro of debugger.  I'm reluctant to blame it on an FM update or a Yosemite update since since I'm not active with scripts on a weekly basis and am at a loss to pin down my update sequence.

              Now at least I can workaround by not activating the data viewer.