1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 6:07 PM by ralvy

SMTP Headers Messed up

smower

Summary

SMTP Headers Messed up

Description of the issue

Hello, I have been using the new send mail through SMTP functionality, but am finding that many of the people I sent it to are not receiving it. Upon investigation one of the companies that I regularly e-mail reported that the header is coming across like this in front of my e-mail address.=?utf-8?b?q29tcgv0axrpdmugrwrnzsbqcm9kdwn0cybtywxlcwaa?=

• 1. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
          TSGal

Shawn:

Thank you for your post.

A few users have also reported this problem.  Sending to some servers is fine, but to others, the UTF-8 encoding is used.  At this time, there is no additional information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
            smower

Thanks, but I am not sure what I am to do.  Am I suppose to change the UTF-8 encoding to something else or can I even? Is this a bug, or does this mean I can't use this feature, or do we have to wait for version 11 to get a resolution?

Thanks,

Shawn

• 3. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
              TSGal

Shawn:

We're trying to determine why some servers encode header information and email names.  It's on a server by server basis, and although we can verify on some servers, other users don't have the problem.  One user reported that names with punctuation characters caused problems on some servers (although we could not reproduce).

If any additional information becomes available, I will post it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                hschlossberg
                   FWIW, names without punctuation also cause emails to fail.  I don't know if it was because of encoding or what -- I just know that it generated an error popup message and nothing went through.  I'm working around the issuer by leaving the 'to' name blank, but that severely limits our practical use of this feature.
                • 5. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                  TSGal

howards:

I just used the Send Mail using SMTP to your email address.  I cc'd myself, and everything looks fine in the headers.  Can you confirm?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                    cto
                       I am having the same problem, and I simply can't send email out to anyone. Please help. Is this a bug on FileMaker Part that needs to be fixed? I switched over all my scripts only to find out it does not work. Please help.
                    • 7. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                      TSGal

CTO:

Thank you for your post.

We are seeing this happen more frequently with users accessing gmail's SMTP server.  Also, most users who receive emails through gmail are seeing this problem.

In some instances, names with a space give strange results, while no space sends correctly.  We cannot reproduce that problem.

What computer are you using?  Operating system?  Can you tell me more about your SMTP server?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                        daviddaniel

This problem is also refered to in this post:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&thread.id=1170

Just to clarify:

I can send e-mail from FileMaker using SMTP to my Kerio e-mail server (based on sendmail I believe) and have it deliver to local domains.  However when I try to do the same and send the message to an external domain it fails and here are 2 examples from the mail server log file:

[01/Apr/2009 16:17:14] Sent: Queue-ID: 49d3e7e3-00023c23, Recipient: <removedtoavoidspam@gmail.com>, Result: failed, Status: 5.1.8 555 5.5.2 Syntax error. 7si283298fxm.31

[01/Apr/2009 16:14:53] Sent: Queue-ID: 49d3e75b-00023c0d, Recipient: <removedtoavoidspam@comcast.net>, Result: failed, Status: 5.1.8 550 5.1.0 <=?UTF-8?B?aGVscGRlc2sA?=<removedtoavoidspam@companioncorp.com> SIZE=805 '@' or '.' expected after '=?UTF-8?B?aGVscGRlc2sA?='

• 9. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                          TSGal

ddaniel:

Thank you for your post.

We know about sending information to gmail accounts with the headers becoming corrupt.  We are not aware of comcast.net, so I will add that to the list to try.

I just sent you a test email using SMTP from our server (smtp.filemaker.com).  Let me know if you can read the information correctly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                            daviddaniel

Yes I did receive the message, however it was marked as spam because the From address is not correct according to RFC 2822.
                            From: =?UTF-8?B?ZGRhbmllbAAA?= <removedforprivacy@companioncorp.com>
                            Reply-To: bentosupport2@filemaker.com
                            To: removedforprivacy@companioncorp.com
                            X-ASG-Orig-Subj: =?UTF-8?B?VGhpcyBpcyBhIHRlc3Qu?=
                            Subject: =?UTF-8?B?VGhpcyBpcyBhIHRlc3Qu?=
                            MIME-Version: 1.0
                            Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
                            Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
                                 2.60 INVALID_MSGID          Message-Id is not valid, according to RFC 2822

This is a test.

• 11. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                              TSGal

ddaniel:

The title should have said "This is a test".

In any case, I have sent another message that will have my return email address, plus I also cc'd the message to a co-worker with a me.com address.  I will post that information here when I receive it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                                TSGal

ddaniel:

From the me.com account....

Subject:      This is a test

Date:      April 3, 2009 10:56:32 AM PDT

To:      ddaniel@companioncorp.com

Cc:      ledzeppelin@me.com

Reply-To:      bentosupport2@filemaker.com

This is a test

---------------

With the long header....

Subject:      This is a test

Date:      April 3, 2009 10:56:32 AM PDT

To:      ddaniel@companioncorp.com

Cc:      ledzeppelin@me.com

Reply-To:      bentosupport2@filemaker.com

Return-Path:      <BentoSupport2@filemaker.com>

Received:      from smtpin135-bge351000 ([10.150.68.135]) by ms244.mac.com (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.3-7.04 (built Sep 26 2008; 64bit)) with ESMTP id <0KHJ00DX8DUJSFC0@ms244.mac.com> for ledzeppelin@me.com; Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:56:43 -0700 (PDT)

Received:      from ns3.filemaker.com ([192.35.50.18]) by smtpin135.mac.com (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.3-8.01 (built Dec 16 2008; 32bit)) with ESMTP id <0KHJ00A1NDUJ42C0@smtpin135.mac.com> for ledzeppelin@me.com (ORCPT ledzeppelin@me.com); Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:56:43 -0700 (PDT)

Received:      from mail.filemaker.com (mail.filemaker.com [17.184.4.95]) by ns3.filemaker.com (8.12.1-20030922/8.12.1) with ESMTP id n33HuWMx000360; Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:56:33 -0700 (PDT)

Received:      from 244x102.filemaker.com ([17.184.102.244]) by mail.filemaker.com (Post.Office MTA v3.5.1 release 219 ID# 0-63480U1000L2S100V35) with SMTP id com; Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:56:32 -0700

Original-Recipient:      rfc822;ledzeppelin@me.com

X-Brightmail-Tracker:      AAAAAgAAAUAAAAFT

Message-Id:      <FileMaker.49d64dd0.1.df@mac.com>

Mime-Version:      1.0

Content-Type:      text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Content-Transfer-Encoding:      8bit

This is a test

----------------

Let me know how this compares to what you received.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                                  daviddaniel

The subject and body of the original message did say "This is a test."

The one you just sent has the same problem:

From: =?UTF-8?B?VFNHYWwA?= <bentosupport2@filemaker.com>

Which causes this error:

2.60 INVALID_MSGID          Message-Id is not valid, according to RFC 2822

The subject header is:

Subject: =?UTF-8?B?VGhpcyBpcyBhIHRlc3QA?=

But it does display "This is a test" in an e-mail client

• 14. Re: SMTP Headers Messed up
                                    daviddaniel
                                       Any updates on this issue?  Any expected date for a fix?
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next