12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 5:10 PM by abiggerbite

SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format

rtrigg_1

Summary

SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format

Description of the issue

I'm in FileMaker Pro 10 on Mac OS 10.4.11.   On the server, I'm able to send test notifications via the SMTP server with no problems.  But on clients, sending email via the SMTP server doesn't work (I get the Couldn't-send-email window).  The mail server log shows these lines: cmd: MAIL FROM:rsp: 501 Incorrect Address Formatcmd: QUITAs you can see, the From address (which I entered as simply "filemakerserver@globalfundforwomen.org") was mangled.  Might this be a problem with curly quotes, or encoding ("UTF-8" appears in the garbled address)?  If so, how do I get rid of curly quotes, or change the encoding used? Thanks!    - Randy 

• 1. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
          TSGal

rtrigg:

Thank you for your post.

Some users have reported problems with certain SMTP servers and Email programs.  For example, in house, we cannot duplicate the problem if we send it to our internal SMTP server, but several users have trouble sending mail to Gmail server, while others have problems viewing in Eudora.  Most users have gotten around the problem by just sending solely the email address without the name.  Some servers also have trouble translating UTF-8 (Unicode) characters.

This problem has been reported to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments, but no additional information is available at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
            alex.hellier

Hi

We too are having this problem, some of the emails we are successfully sending are being returned from our customers mail servers and so quotes, invoices etc are not getting through.

Has anyone found an answer to this yet?

Alex 

• 3. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
              TSGal

BobSpadger:

Thank you for your post.

We have found that some mail servers interpret characters differently than others.  For example, we have found that sending to gmail accounts tend to have problems.

Some customers have found success by just sending the email address without any name attachment.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
                alex.hellier

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.

We are only sending the email , we are not trying to pass a name to it as well.

The reply-to / from emails are merely user AT absolutemusic DOT co DOT uk

I have updated to 10.0.3 as well and this does not seemed to have helped.

Alex 

• 5. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
                  TSGal

BobSpadger:

Thank you for the additional information.

To what SMTP mail server are you sending?  This is where most of the problems occur.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
                    alex.hellier

Hi

We are using kerio mailserver 6.6.1 I believe

Thanks 

• 7. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
                      TSGal

BobSpadger:

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages)./

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
                        mattboulton

I think that I am coming up against the same problem as BobSpadger as we also use Kerio at my organisation [6.7 - we updated yesterday, however this problem preceded the upgrade]. Debugging at the mail server suggests the same UTF-8 name problem causing the email to fail to send.

What I find slightly odd about it is that the script step is being used in a bulk email notification and I know that some recipients definitely received the email but other definitely didn't, so it can't always be putting the garbled string into all of the emails. Is there anyway to predict when it will garble the name [recipient address for example]?

I've read that removing the name might help - I have not tried this yet, but is there something specific with Kerio that I should know about to make the script work always?

best,

Matt

http://fm.lithium.com/fm/view_profile?user.id=6127
                        • 9. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
                          mattboulton
                             I forgot to mention that we are also using SnowLeopard [again that seems to be problematic for reading other posts/forums]
                          • 10. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
                            arcom

Unfortunately we are getting the same problem here.

Sometimes the FROM address is correctly encoded, sometimes is full of strange characters.

We are using FMP adv 10.0v3 - Snow leopard Server 10.6.2 and the mail server is Smartermail ( i don't know which version).

On 12 different email sent, only 4 have been delivered, other ( including gmail.com) has the error:

501 Incorrect Address Format

Isn't his have been fixed yet?

Regards, Antonio 

• 11. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
                              abiggerbite

I am seeing the same behavior with one of my customers Filemaker Server 10 Advanced 10.0.2.206 on a Mac OS X Server 10.6.2.

When configuring "Email Notifications" and entering the SMTP Information I constantly get "SMTP test failed. Check the SMTP settings and email address." After double and triple checking the settings I found this thread and checked the SMTP log (Using Mac OS X Server's built in Mail service). The log reads:

connect from xxx.xxx.se[xx.xx.128.90] 

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from xxx.xxx.se[xx.xx.128.90]: 504 5.5.2 <xx.xx.128.90>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname; from=<xxx@xxx.se> to=<xxx@xxx.se> proto=ESMTP helo=<xx.xx.128.90> 

This worked flawlessly before OSXS10.6 upgrade and subsequent (IMHO crazy) installation procedure to get FMSA to run on Snow Leopard.

Now I am stuck with a server that won't notify me if something is wrong since it can't connect to the SMTP Server properly. 

Please isolate a workaround quick. Would for example be very interesting to know which plist or config file that contains the values in question for a "quick fix". 

• 12. Re: SMTP troubles in FM10: Incorrect address format
                                abiggerbite

UPDATE. My post was not related to this thread since I found the following solution that worked.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10098195&#10098195

In short:

edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and change:

smtpd_helo_restrictions = reject_invalid_helo_hostname reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname

to

smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated permit_mynetworks reject_invalid_helo_hostname reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname 

Now it verifies and works.