Snapshot Link converts DNS name to IP address

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Any

Description of the issue

A Snapshot Link contains the IP address of the server instead of its DNS name, which makes the link fail for a user outside the LAN.

In this case, the server name, DNS for reverse lookup and the favorite used to access the server and the hosted file all contain the fully qualified [server.domain.com] value.

If the link included the DNS name of the server, the link will  worked for WAN users as well as LAN users, presuming DNS is properly configured.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a favorite using a DNS name for a FileMaker server on the LAN. This server must be accessible using the same DNS name from both inside the LAN and over the WAN.
      2. Open a hosted file (e.g., FMServer_Sample) using that favorite.
      3. Create a snapshot link and email it to another FileMaker Pro user who is on the WAN.
      4. Have that user try and open the Snapshot Link - it will fail as it contains the LAN IP for the server.

Expected result

I understand the Snapshot Link is including the resolved IP address of the server. Since there are a number of ways for the server to identify itself to the client, or the client to see if that server is know by another 'name', it would make the feature actually useful (for anything other than intra-LAN or intra-WAN sending) if it supported DNS names and not just resolved IPs.

Actual result

4. Have that user try and open the Snapshot Link - it will fail as it contains the LAN IP for the server.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

NA

Configuration information

The fully qualified server name must be properly configured for both internal and external DNS resolution if I intend to use the workaround and edit the Snapshot Link file to swap the IP for the name.

Workaround

Edit the Snapshot Link file by hand or script.

• 1. Re: Snapshot Link converts DNS name to IP address
          TSGal

Mark Richman:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  If I open the Snapshot Link file (.fpsl) using TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad (Windows), I specifically see the DNS path; not the iP Address.  Can you provide more information about the server?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Snapshot Link converts DNS name to IP address
            Diver

I will second that problem.   I have a client's remote server that runs a script that creates and emails a Snapshot link meant for external use.  When I use the Snapshot I receive in an email, it does not work.   When I login to the server with FM 12 client remotely and run the same script the server ran to create the eMail with Snapshot link attached, the script emails me the Snapshot and it works perfectly remotely.  

I used a text editor to compare two Snapshot files and the server created version is using an internal IP address.  The Snapshot created when I connect in remotely is showing a public IP address. 

There either needs to be some script enhancement to allow the developer to select the IP Address or domain name to be used in the snapshot file or developers are going to have to use 3rd party extentensions to edit the Snapshot text (if possible).

• 3. Re: Snapshot Link converts DNS name to IP address
              Diver

In an effort to find away around this issue, I created a calculation that mirrored what was in the good Snapshot file created by FileMaker.   Though there was an extension naming issue for the file, when I manually changed the .txt to .fmpsl the file gets the proper icon on my desktop but when I run it, I am warned it was not created with FileMaker and won't run.  A text editor comparing the two files said they were exactly the same.