7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 2:44 PM by TSGal

Snow Leopard - FMP10.0.3 - Replace picture/container hangs

JustAScreenName

Summary

Snow Leopard - FMP10.0.3 - Replace picture/container hangs

Description of the issue

Using the Replace function on a container field holding an image hangs indefinitely. The progress window with the record count appears, but never advances. Force Quit is the only option. This works with the same databases in FMP9 under Snow Leopard, and worked in Mac OS X 10.5.8.

• 1. Re: Snow Leopard - FMP10.0.3 - Replace picture/container hangs
          TSGal

JustAScreenName:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I am unable to duplicate the problem.  This is what I did on my Mac under Snow Leopard 10.6.1 running FileMaker Pro 10.0v3:

1. Using one of my test database files (Test.fp7), I created a Container field aptly named "Container".

2. I inserted a JPG image into the fourth record.

3. I pulled down the Records menu and select "Replace Field Contents...". and selected "replace with current contents".

If there is something else you want me to try, or if you have a particular image that is causing a problem, please let me know.

In the mean time, create a new database file with a Container file, add a few records, insert the image and try again.  Does this work?  If so, then the original file may have a problem.

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in determining the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Snow Leopard - FMP10.0.3 - Replace picture/container hangs
            JustAScreenName

The keys to recreating the problem, which I was able to reliably reproduce with a new database, seem to be:

1) I am in Table View mode

2) I have selected container field of the first record

3) I have just changed the contents of the container field of the first record.

• 3. Re: Snow Leopard - FMP10.0.3 - Replace picture/container hangs
              philmodjunk

There are two "replace" functions in filemaker these days. Replace Field Contents (in the records menu) and Find/Replace in the edit menu.

Which are you using?

Exactly which options did you select for this operation?

Do you get the same problem if you do this on a new file?

If a new file doesn't not exhibit the same problem, your file may be damaged. Test a recovered copy of the file. If the recovered copy doesn't crash, replace your file with an undamaged backup copy if at all possible.

• 4. Re: Snow Leopard - FMP10.0.3 - Replace picture/container hangs
                JustAScreenName

I am using Replace Field Contents... with the 'Replace with: "current contents"' option (first radio button).

It does happen in a new database file with a simple four field structure and only a few records.

This is a bug with OS X 10.6.x and FMP 10.0.3 , not a problem with my file or my computer. I can repeat it with any database on any computer I've tried.

It appears to be only when in Table View, so I have a workaround to switch to Form or List View.
                • 5. Re: Snow Leopard - FMP10.0.3 - Replace picture/container hangs
                  philmodjunk

Combining that information with your earlier statement:

1) I am in Table View mode

2) I have selected container field of the first record

3) I have just changed the contents of the container field of the first record.

Would indicate that you haven't actually changed the contents of the first record, unless you have only two records in your found set and your current record is the second record. (Replace field contents, with the current contents options changes the contents of the current field of all the other records in the found set to match that of the current record's field contents.)

Is this what you are doing?

Not trying to argue here, just making sure we have the exact steps down so that others can try to replicate the issue.

• 6. Re: Snow Leopard - FMP10.0.3 - Replace picture/container hangs
                    JustAScreenName

I added that third note because one time it seemed that if I selected a record that had not changed recently, but did have a different image than the other records in the found set, it seemed to work. In hindsight, that does not appear to be a condition to reproduce the bug, as I was not in Table View when that occurred.

The problem originally occurred in a database with over 4000 records. I had a found set of 1593 records. I was changing the image in the first record, and using Replace Field Contents to propagate that image change across the found set. It hung. It's something I had done literally hundreds of times before in the same database, in version 9, and in version 10, in Mac OS X 10.5.x. After upgrading to Snow Leopard it stopped working. The same action, using the same database, works in FMP 9.0.3 under Mac OS X 10.6.1. I can recreate the problem using a brand new database. I'm sure you can recreate the problem if you try, as I have been able to do so on every single computer (4) that I've tried. That's all the computers I have that have been upgraded to 10.6.1. It would be nice to have some corroboration.

• 7. Re: Snow Leopard - FMP10.0.3 - Replace picture/container hangs
                      TSGal

JustAScreenName:

Thanks for all the additional information.  I can definitely duplicate the problem.  It only happens in Table View.  If you switch to "View as Form", the problem does not occur.  Also, this does not occur in Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard).

I have reported the issue to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  If more information becomes available, I will let you know.  In the mean time, please perform the Replace Field Contents of a Container field in "View as Form"; not in "View as Table".

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.