Solution found for frequent FileMaker crashes

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

OS 10.6.7

Description of the issue

I found the solution to my problem of frequent Filemaker Pro crashes on my Mac. I am running Carbonite as an offsite backup and Carbonite was set on "High Priority" backup. In Activity Monitor, the Carbonite daemon was shown to be utilizing essentially 100% of the CPU in High Priority mode. This usage dropped off to very low values in about a minute or so. But this was absolutely enough to crash FileMaker Pro if I was using it when Carbonite kicked in. I changed the setting to Low Priority to conserve bandwidth and this has solved the problem. I haven't had a single crash since changing this setting. My Mac Consultant, John Spargo, is the one who finally figured it out. Thanks to everyone who took time to make suggestions to help me solve this problem. Robin

• 1. Re: Solution found for frequent FileMaker crashes
          philmodjunk

Are you using Carbonite to back up your FileMaker files while they are opoen?

That's likely to corrupt your backup copies of the file and I've seen posts here warning that it could even corrupt the original file though others have questioned whether or not this is really possible.

• 2. Re: Solution found for frequent FileMaker crashes
            RobinRieke

Here is the information I just received from Carbonite in case it is helpful to anyone else.

Response Via Email (Debbie D. - Plano, TX) 05/11/2011 04:18 PM
            Hello Robin and thank you for contacting Carbonite Customer Support.

We suggest that you schedule a backup when you are not using Filemaker Pro. Carbonite is designed to backup your files when they are updated and if you are working on the very files it is working on updating for you, that could pose a definite conflict. 

In addition, we are providing further information about the best way to backup databases such as Filemaker.

SQL and Other Databases
            Link: http://carbonite.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2740

Scheduling Your Backup
            Link: http://carbonite.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1403

Manually Managing Your Backup
            Link: http://carbonite.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1411

Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

Sincerely,

Debbie D. - Plano, TX

Carbonite Customer Support
            www.carbonite.com
            Back it up. Get it back.

For the latest news, tips, and discussions about Carbonite, visit our blog at http://www.carbonite.com/en/blog.
            • 3. Re: Solution found for frequent FileMaker crashes
              philmodjunk

One way to get backup software to back up your file without issue is to generate a single closed backup copy on your local drive and then the backup software can backup this closed copy of your file to an external location.

If you are using FileMaker Server, you can schedule a backup for this purpose, though your backup software may have trouble finding the file to back up as Server puts it in a new folder with today's date in the folder name so it's location changes every time you back up. I've solved that issue on my system with a VBScript that uses today's date to compute the filepath and copy the file to a remote location. The same method could move the file to a consistent location where backup software can find it.

There are ways to script single user files or files hosted by FileMaker pro that use Save a Copy to save a file to a specified location where the backup software can find it to backup to the remote location.