This isn't really and issue post and would have been better served in the Filemaker Pro forum. ;-)
You can use the GetasDate function to extract the date from the timestamp field with data and time. If this is a permanent change to your database that you want to make, do the following:
- Make a back up copy of your file.
- Define a new field of type date and place it on your layout next to the timestamp field that has the date and time.
- Show all records
- Put the cursor in your new date field and select Replace Field Contents from the Records menu
- Select the calculation option and use GetAsDate ( Yourtable::YourTimeStampField )
- Perform the replace
- Now you can use Manage | Database | Fields to delete your original field from the table and put your new field in place of the old wherever it's needed.
I followed the above instructions to point 6, and nothing transferred from the old "Day_month" field to the new "Date" field. So I went through it again. So thinking point 7 may reveal all, I proceeded. Well, the Day_Month column is gone and the Date column is blank. I have a back up, but what step did I not get right?
I opened my back up file and the old "Day_Month" field sorted perfectly, which makes me think, I must have caused some sort of corruption in my current file since I made the back up two days ago. Thanks very much for your help. Learning my way round replacing fields will be helpful in the future I'm sure.