5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2010 9:17 AM by TSGal

Some URL values open web page exterior to File Maker Server instead of within Application

AndrewEskind

Summary

Some URL values open web page exterior to File Maker Server instead of within Application

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Both FileMaker Server versions 10 and 11

Operating system version

Don't know - reporting problem on behalf of triple8.net, my online host, I access application via Firefox or IE8 - same problem either place.

Description of the issue

My application stores serveral thousand URL values.  They display in Web Viewer fields within FM Layouts.  This feature works fine in my offline Filemaker 10 environment.

However, online FileMaker Server (both 10 and 11 were tried) at triple8.net a small percentage of urls open web pages outside of FM and do not allow return back to FM - rather than within the FM Layout.  I suspect some sites use technology not properly understood by FM server.   Support staff at triple8.net suggested I report the bug even though I don't own this product.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Put this url value in your own test application using FM Server 10 or 11.   Place in field which triggers VIEW WEB PAGE feature.

http://www.billbrandt.com/

I can provide additional urls if desired.

Alternatively, launch my application at photographydatabase.org.
      Select record type BIOS.  Search Andrew Eskind (a test record).
      Observe what happens.
      Again, this only happens in FM Server.  Feature works fine in FM V10.

Expected result

Should not leave FM application.  Should display website within FM layout with web viewer feature (90% work fine).

Actual result

Opens web page external to FM Server application.  Does not allow BACK or return to FM.  Session ultimately has to time out for me to recover.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error message appears.

Configuration information

Same problem whether I access server via Firefox (current) or IE8 web browsers.

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: Some URL values open web page exterior to File Maker Server instead of within Application
          TSGal

Andrew Eskind:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to access www.billbrandt.com without any problem.  I have clicked on the Library, Shop and Gallery links, viewed sub-items, etc.  I am able to go to the next record, access other fields, etc.  Are there specific step you want me to try?

The photographydatabase.org link is a different story.  Inside the Web Viewer, when you click on "Launch Database", this opens a FileMaker Pro database file phot-index.fp7 using Instant Web Publishing, which includes frames (Status and data).  This is fine when running via FileMaker Pro.  The problem lies when you use Instant Web Publishing to open your main database file, and then the Web Viewer tries to open a second file via Instant Web Publishing.  The Instant Web Publishing Status frames (one for the database, the other for the Web Viewer) are in conflict with one another.  This will occur with any Browser, Windows or Macintosh.  If you instead access the file remotely using FileMaker Pro, you will not encounter this conflict since only once instance of Instant Web Publishing will be running.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Some URL values open web page exterior to File Maker Server instead of within Application
            AndrewEskind

Dear TSGal,

Thanks for the above answer.   I'm afraid I didn't do a very good job of explaining the problem.   Furthermore, the example I provided has recently changed and no longer demonstrates the problem.

1.  I need to use IWP because this database is intended for public use.   I cannot expect my users to own FM.

2.  When you say above that with IWP there are frames in conflict with one another - if that's the case, why does IWP include the Web Viewer feature?    I know there are things - mostly scripting statements - that are available in FM, but NOT available in IWP.

I haven't seen any reference saying I can't use Web Viewer in IWP.  In fact, it works fine with 90% of the URL in the data.

3.  If you don't mind, here's another example of the approx 10% that done work:

Please use IWP (not your local FM) to get to my .fp7 file from any browser pointed at photographydatabase.org

Click on the huge button labelled "Photographer's Bios".

Type cor day in the name field and execute perform serach.   You should get just one record.

In that record click the huge "Go to Bibs" button (it is telling you to expect 3 bib records).

Among the 3 linked bib records is ONE which works fine - (brings up WEB VIEWER within layout).

But there is another one that DEPARTS the application.

The one that works fine is the one saying "The Guardian".  The one that messes up says "New York Times".

View them in any sequence you wish.  (Use the "BACK" button within the layout to cycle back & start over).

Thanks for your help.

Andy

• 3. Re: Some URL values open web page exterior to File Maker Server instead of within Application
              TSGal

Andrew Eskind:

Using IE8, Firefox and Safari, I cannot get past the first part of your example.  I cannot click on "Photographer's Bios" as the Status frame does not display fully.  There is an error.

If I access photographydatabase.org directly and click "Photographer's Bios", I can type in cor day, but there is no "Perform search" button.  If I instead click on the "Find (incl name variants)" button, it brings me to a different blue screen.  If I enter cor day and click "Continue", I then get one record: Corinne Day.  If I now click "Go to Bibs", I get three records.

Under the second record, Martin Doublas, I do get a web site that has a redirect or opens a new window.  I don't have access to the exact web page being called, so I don't know what is going on behind the screens with the pop-ups.  If you have the exact web page being called, send that to me so I can check out the HTML code as it is probably requesting the full window space.

Pressing the back button cannot be resolved in FileMaker, so it brings me back to what it last understands, and that is the last record that was displayed in the list.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Some URL values open web page exterior to File Maker Server instead of within Application
                AndrewEskind
                Good, at least you're now seeing the behavior in the Martin Douglas/New York Times example. The offending url in this case (but there are plenty of others elsewhere - perhaps due to the same practice that IWP/FM Server is failing to trap) is as follows: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/world/europe/02day.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper Thanks for your examining this issue. ahe
                • 5. Re: Some URL values open web page exterior to File Maker Server instead of within Application
                  TSGal

Andrew Eskind:

Thank you for the link.  It is a redirect to "http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/world/europe/02day.html?_r=2&ref=todayspaper", and all you really need is "http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/world/europe/02day.html".  With that said, the nytimes site does take over the browser window and there is no way to control that from Instant Web Publishing (since you are using a browser).  On Page 33 of the "Instant Web Publishing Guide" (http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fmp/fm11_instant_web_publish_en.pdf) states:

"Content in a web viewer may have unintended effects on Instant Web Publishing. Therefore you must test the websites you want to display within a web viewer. For example, a URL (either a URL calculated from field data or a URL that the user specifies by clicking a link in a web viewer) can specify a page that has the target=top attribute. This attribute causes the page to completely replace Instant Web Publishing in the web browser window."

The NYTimes.com web site falls into this category.

To get around this, you may want to consider creating another field "WebDisplay" and use that as part of the calculation for the Web Viewer.  That is:

If ( WebDisplay = "No" and Get (ApplicationVersion) = "FileMaker Web Publishing" ; "" ; <URL Field> )

You could then also create a Calculation field appearing next to the Web Viewer with the formula:

If ( WebDisplay = "No" and Get (ApplicationVersion) = "FileMaker Web Publishing" ; "The URL " & <URL Field> & " cannot be displayed as it takes control of this window." ; "" )

If you want, you could also provide instructions to open a new browser window and paste in the URL.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.