Summary

Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.9

Description of the issue

The Specify Calculation dialog box's filter for the functions does not filter as expected.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Type the letter "G" into the function filter.

Expected result

I would expect to see any of the functions that not only start with "G", but might also have "G" somewhere in the name of the function — as I've observed from the use of the filter and the letters that are highlighted by the filter.

Actual result

What I get is a partial list that is missing many of the functions that start with G and/or have G in the name of the function. A good example of one that is missing is the function Get(AccountName). I've enclosed a screen shot of the filter and the functions that start with G. If you compare that to the actual full list of functions that are available from FileMaker you will see that the filter is missing quite a few functions.

FileMaker_Pro_Advanced1002.png

• 1. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
          philmodjunk

There is no GetAccountName function, only a Get function for which the parameter passed may be the AccountName option. This is also the case for the specify calculation dialog found in older versions where you would select the "Get" function group first, then you'd see the different parameter options for this one rather unique function.

So it would appear that exactly one function is missing: Get.

And if you click the button to the right of the search box, there's an option that enables you to specifically select Get functions that lists all the different parameter options for this "Swiss Army Knife" function.

• 2. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
            tduell_1

That's why my attached image shows Get (AccountName), to show that it's not available in the filter. If you don't use the filter, you can certainly scroll down to retrieve the function. I've been doing this since 1988.... Get (AccountName) is a real function that is available in the specify calculation dialog box.

I am aware of the option to specify the option to display just the Get functions by themselves. My point is that the "Swiss army knife" filter seems to not filter all that well and I would expect when I'm showing all the functions that filtering by "G" would show all the Get functions and not a partial list of Get functions, which is what it's doing. It shows some, but not all. So there's definitely a problem with the filter feature.  I'm also keenly aware that displaying the Get functions has also been it's own issue for many versions of FileMaker. With the latest release I would assume the filter is much smarter since FileMaker spent so much time on redesigning the developer's interface and tools. It appears that the filter is fairly pointless given we still have to select functions (i.e.Get) that we want to display. That's all I'm pointing out. It's not the end of the world, it's just a nuisance that leaves the filter somewhat pointless to use.

• 3. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
              philmodjunk

I've been using FileMaker since fmp 2.5. wink

There is no function named "Get ( AccountName )"

The function name is GET.  AccountName is a parameter of the the GET function. The GET function has many different parameters with AccountName as one the many possible parameters. The filter only filters on function names. I'm pretty sure a Filemaker Tech person will be telling us that this is "by design". We might prefer a different search implementation, but my prediction is that we will be encouraged to make a feature request to include Get parameters in the filter action.

No recent version of FIleMaker has done what you want to do here. At best you got:

Get ( Flag ).

To see the listed parameter options, you had to select the functions by Type from a drop down menu. This was the case before and it is still the case now. The interface is different and I had to do a bit of experimenting to find the menu for this but it's there and works much like older versions. Both in pre 14 versions and now, The Get function is treated as a "special case" where you make a special selection in order to get the detailed list of get function options.

What IS new is that the Get ( Flag ) entry no longer appears. This would seem a bug as it can fool a new developer into thinking that get functions do not exist.

• 4. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
                TSGal

tduell:

Thank you for your posts.

In the current design, Get function with parameters are not included when filtering for "Get".

Since our Feature Requests web form is not working (with no expected timeframe), I have submitted your request to Product Management and Development for consideration in a future release.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
                  philmodjunk

With all due respect, the fact that "Get" does not appear when you filter for Get would appear to be a bug. This is not something I would handle as a feature request.

Adding the ability to filter for text such as 'Get(accountname' to get the get function option of Get ( accountname ), which would be nice, would fit my definition of a feature request.

• 6. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

This issue was reported previously (not from the forum), and it was marked "as designed" and changed to a Feature Request.  This does not mean it will never change.  With the addition of another Feature Request (this post), it will be discussed.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
                      philmodjunk

Ok, but  feature requests are supposed to add new features not fix something broken in the current version. That's not your call to make, but a function is a function whether it's called "get", Textformatremove or "count" and so all should be handled by the filter in exactly the same way. Leaving the Get function out is just plain idiotic. Adding in the ability to treat the different get parameter options as separate functions in the filter would be a nice plus, but not something that we've had in previous versions.

• 8. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
                        hschlossberg

FWIW, the filter DOES work if you enter only the parameter of a get() function.  For example, filtering for "acc" will display five get() functions that all include either the word "account" or "access", including get(accountname).  I'm not saying this is optimally how it should work, but it would seem a viable workaround until the issue is "fixed".

• 9. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
                          philmodjunk

Thanks howards, that's useful and clearly demonstrates that omitting get is a BUG no matter who in FileMaker tries to say that it is "as designed".

• 10. Re: Specify Calculation Function Filter Not Working Correctly
                            TSGal

tduell:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.