9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 2:50 AM by LaRetta_1

Spontaneous import bug still there!!

LaRetta_1

Summary

Spontaneous import bug still there!!

Description of the issue

FMPA vs. 11 Windows XP Professional SP2 The spontaneous import bug still exists in vs. 11.  If FMI is incapable of fixing it, tell us.  We have a right to know so we can decide whether to continue using FM or not.  This is a serious issue and scripted imports are very dangerous in most cases because of it.  We cannot trust using imports when we can't always control the field names.  Import becomes a worthless option for Developers when manipulating data within their solution AND worthless for importing external data.

• 1. Re: Spontaneous import bug still there!!
          TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your post.

I can confirm that this issue still exists in FileMaker Pro 11.

For those reading this issue for the first time, please see the following link for the issue:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/Report-a-bug/Data-loss-bug-Spontaneous-and-erroneous-import-matching-of-new/td-p/31169

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Spontaneous import bug still there!!
            LaRetta_1

I guess you missed this sentence so please allow me to restate it,

If FMI is incapable of fixing it, tell us.  We have a right to know so we can decide whether to continue using FM or not. 

If TSGal doesn't know then he should admit it and also follow up and get us answers.

• 3. Re: Spontaneous import bug still there!!
              TSGal

LaRetta:

I don't know if "FMI is incapable of fixing it".  The problem is logged and verified by our Testing department.  That is all the information I have at this time.  If any additional information becomes available that can be made public, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Spontaneous import bug still there!!
                LaRetta_1

Hey TSGal, I'm not blaming you. 

I guess 4 years isn't long to wait for a serious data-loss bug to be fixed (NOT).  Please forgive our impatience.  :smileytongue:

Many of us import from multiple, extensive external sources (and use it internally as well).  FMI knows how this spontaneous mapping bug hurts thousands of developers every single day.  I must stop ... my disgust will begin to show.  And you'all wonder why we are getting short-tempered and leaving FM in droves? 

And we can't get a simple answer.

• 5. Re: Spontaneous import bug still there!!
                  WoodApple

TSGal wrote:

...If any additional information becomes available that can be made public, I will let you know.

That statement makes me wonder how many potentially major issues are not public.

• 6. Re: Spontaneous import bug still there!!
                    mrvodka

Unfortunately one has to stay on top of all types of forums and the exclusive TechTalk as well since there is no open public bug list. It is unfortunate that the process takes up so much of the developer's time.

• 7. Re: Spontaneous import bug still there!!
                      hschlossberg

My understanding is that it will take a file format change to allow FileMaker to remember all that it needs to remember to make this right.  And after the hassles people went through to upgrade through the file format change from FM6 to FM7, one might understand why FMI's marketing folks are a little skittish about introducing another file format change (even though FM2 > 3 and FM 4 > 5 were seamless).

• 8. Re: Spontaneous import bug still there!!
                        LaRetta_1

Well now, thank you for the information.  This is the FIRST that any of us has heard about it.  My peeve is why FMI couldn't tell us that..  They should, then, introduce a workaround.  When did vs. 7 come out - 2004?  So we have lived with this severe problem for 6 years

Why couldn't they at least provide assistance, such as allowing us ability to quickly find all import script-steps in all scripts for a specific table (occurrence) so we can change any import maps which have broken?  As is, any time we add a field to a table, we must have written down any scripts which have an import in them and manually open each one for correction.

I cannot believe that there isn't something they could have done to help us.  Regardless, their silence on the issue is NOT acceptable.  Because it isn't clearly documented (and easily found), thousands of developers have been bitten because they didn't know about it until they have lost data.  And even then, most didn't put together WHY it was breaking so their imports continued to break and trash data.  Thousands of developers have wasted time writing, emailing, posting, paying for tech support calls and begging for a fix when FMI knew all along.

It is FMI's standard position of maintaining silence which hurts us the most and all I can say is shame on them. 

• 9. Re: Spontaneous import bug still there!!
                          LaRetta_1

BUMP

If FMI won't fix the serious bugs then I will continue to bump them so they stay at the top and more customers might see them.  I am outraged that FMI let's these bugs exists for YEARS when they are fully aware of them and they know it hurts their customers a great deal.

If I could afford to rent a plane, I'd sky-write across the entire continent telling everyone how FMI couldn't care less about hurting their customers with the hundreds of bugs in FileMaker, as long as they can spend their time and resources producing things THEY think will increase their sales, such as Bento and GO.