Summary

Spurious Error Message when First Value List Field is UnIndexed

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP, SP3

Description of the issue

I always thought that if you specified a primary and secondary field for a value list, both had to be indexed. Then I came across this statement in the FileMaker Training Series for FileMaker 12:
      "..at least one of the fields specified must be indexed."

In testing this, I found that the statement is true, but if I specify an unindexed Primary Field, I get this error message: "This value will not work because the field "fieldName" cannot be indexed. Proceed anyway?

If I then proceed, I find that the value list does indeed work.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Define two fields: Value 1, value 2. In field options, set indexing to "none" and clear the "automatically create indexes as needed" check box.
      Add a third field, Drop Down.
      Create some records and enter data into Value 1 and Value 2.
      Return to layout mode and format Drop Down as a drop down list. Give it a value list using the "specify values from a field" option. Select Value 2 as the primary field. Select value 1 as the secondary field. Specify that the second field be be used to sort the value list. (List must be sorted on an indexed field.)

Click OK in each dialog until you can return to browse mode.

Expected result

No error message. Value List works. (OK, I really didn't think this would work--figured this was an error in the training manual, but it DOES work.)

Actual result

Got the above error message, but the drop down deploys and you can select values from the value list.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"This value will not work because the field Value 2 cannot be indexed. Proceed anyway?

Workaround

None needed. Just ignore the error message and explore some new value list options that maybe you hadn't considered. (Think of calculations that reference global or unstored fields that now can be used in your value list...)