1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 2:15 PM by JoeMoschak

SQL Server field name changes/additions not reflected in FileMaker table occurrence

JoeMoschak

Summary

SQL Server field name changes/additions not reflected in FileMaker table occurrence

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7 64-bit

Description of the issue

I have set up an ODBC connection to read/write to a SQL Server 2012 database table.  It works fine.  But I occasionally must add or change field names.  I noticed early on that any changes I make to the SQL Server table won't appear in the previous FileMaker table associated that SQL Server table all by itself.  Rather, whenever I make changes, I must create a whole new table in the relationship graph if I want to see those changes reflected in FileMaker.  Some minor changes I make are, indeed, reflected when I do this.  For example, if I change a varchar(50) field to varchar(255) on the SQL Server side, that gets reflected.  But I've discovered that if I add a field or change a field name, any new instance of that table I add in the relationship graph does NOT see those changes.  Even if I first delete the old table occurrence in the relationship graph, I still can't get the changes to show up in the new table occurrence.

The only way I've been able to get this to work is if I first rename the table in SQL Server and then make a new table occurrence in the relationship graph.

This causes problems.  We have several stored procedures that refer to that SQL Server table by name that will break if we rename the table.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create table in SQL Server
      Create ODBC connection (using 32-bit ODBC; 64-bit doesn't work)
      Add table occurrence to the relationship graph linking to the SQL Server table
      Add a new field and change an existing field name in the SQL Server table
      Create new table occurrence to the relationship graph linking to the SQL Server table

Expected result

The new new table occurrence in the relationship graph linking to the SQL Server table reflects the both the new field as well as the changed field name

Actual result

The new new table occurrence in the relationship graph linking to the SQL Server table reflects neither the new field nor the changed field name

Workaround

Rename the table in SQL Server after you have made any changes to the field name or added any fields, create a new table occurrence in the relationship graph.  Only then will any field name changes or field additions show up in the FileMaker table occurrence.