3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 10:51 AM by hschlossberg

Standard keyboard shortcuts don't work with custom menus

hschlossberg

Summary

Standard keyboard shortcuts don't work with custom menus

Description of the issue

When you use custom menus, even if you just use the standard Edit menu with no changes made to it, the standard Windows shortcuts for copy and paste (CTRL-Insert and Shift-Insert, respectively) don't work. I've reported this as a problem with every new release since custom menus were introduced, usually because of issues reported to me by my users.  But I have been making heavy use this week of a FileMaker-based solution called Base Elements and the results of the problem have become extremely frustrating for me now that I am the user. Even though I AM aware of the problem, old habits die hard and I have -- so many times this week -- pasted the wrong thing into ScriptMaker because my text didn't copy from Base Element's FM layout's fields.  I can't blame Base Elements because it is only using a tool (custom menus) proved by FileMaker.  But it is the persistence of FileMaker's LONG TIME BUG that is causing this problem.  

• 1. Re: Standard keyboard shortcuts don't work with custom menus
          TSGal

howards:

Thank you for your post.

I see that you had already reported this previously to FileMaker back in June 2008, and also to this forum back in August 2009 (Pasting bug in FileMaker Pro 10), where I did forward your comments to Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing).  I know reporting doesn't fix the issue, but we are aware of the issue.  As it currently stands, custom menus only support one type of shortcut.

This may be a design issue/limitation, so to cover all bases, I would also urge you to enter this post into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

The information there is read by Development and Product Management, so a different set of eyes will see this. 

Although I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Standard keyboard shortcuts don't work with custom menus
            philmodjunk
               I've always considered ctrl-c and ctrl-v the "standard windows shortcuts for copy and paste". They're also more conveniently placed than the insert button.
            • 3. Re: Standard keyboard shortcuts don't work with custom menus
              hschlossberg
                 Those are standard for Mac and are what's shown as standard in many Windows apps.  Nonetheless, I've found CTRL-Insert and Shift-Insert are widely used on the Windows side.  Actually, I used to think I was the only one...until my customers started complaining to me after the advent of FM's custom menus.  I guess the placement depends on your keyboard and your mouse.  I keep my mouse on the left so that I have my right hand free to make notes while developing.  So I highlight text with my mouse hand and then like to use my right hand to hit the keyboard for copy/paste.  CTRL-C is awkward to use with the right hand, but CTRL-Insert is very easy.  And you'll find that this key combo works with every single application in the world (that I've ever used) -- even with FileMaker's regular dialogs (define calc, for example) and field values...except when you've turned on a non-customized custom menu.