Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMPA13

Operating system version

10.9.3 beta 4

Description of the issue

Starting up FMPA 13 takes an extra 30 seconds under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Double-click any .fmp12 file to open on newest Mac OS developer release 10.9.3. beta 4.
      The entire startup of FMP13 takes about 30 seconds longer than with beta 10.9.3 beta 3

• 1. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
          Benjamin Fehr

not resolved with FMPA13 v02!

• 2. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
            Benjamin Fehr

still occurs with OSX 10.9.3 / 13D38

• 3. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
              Benjamin Fehr

not resolved with FMPA13 v04!

• 4. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
                Benjamin Fehr

still occurs with OSX 10.9.3 / 13D55

current time to startup FMPA13 = 35 seconds

• 5. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
                  codecruncher

Benjamin,

Thanks for fighting it out in the frontline with Apple's beta releases. I can only attest that an identical database runs slower on any release of Mavericks than previous OS X versions and suspect this trend will continue. Since Apple scripts are painfully slow I suspect this entire issue has more to do with Apple ever increasing security/sandboxing requirements. Is there already a set date for the final OSX release?

• 6. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
                    Benjamin Fehr

CodeCruncher:

Only FM is affected by this delayed startup issue so far.

I work with OS 10.9.3 beta 8 and would expect final release within next 2 weeks or at least before WWDC.

• 7. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
                      Benjamin Fehr

OSX 10.9.3 final version released today. 

Booting FMA 13 still takes 35 seconds.

Knock, knock. Is there anybody listening?!

• 8. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
                        codecruncher

FMA 12.0.5 seems to run a little snappier. The speed of Apple scripts seems to have improved tremendously as well after taking a big hit in the previous OS X release.

• 9. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4

Benjamin Fehr:

Thank you for the post.

I tested FileMaker Pro 12.0v5 Advanced, FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 Advanced, and FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 Advanced on Mac OS X 10.9.2, then updated to Mac OS X 10.9.3 and tested again. The computer was an iMac with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 and 4 GB of RAM.

All initial tests were performed by double-clicking the application in the applications folder. The application was quit from the FileMaker Pro Advanced menu after each open. After restarting, all tests were then performed again by double-clicking a new .fmp12 file saved to the desktop.

The results of my testing follows:

Mac OS X 10.9.2, FileMaker Pro 12.0v5 (Double-click app)

1st Open: 9 seconds to the splash screen, 13 seconds to the open file prompt

Re-opens: 1 second to the splash screen, 2-3 seconds to the open file prompt

Mac OS X 10.9.2, FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 (Double-click app)

1st Open: 8 seconds to the open file prompt

Re-opens: 2-3 seconds to the open file prompt

Mac OS X 10.9.2, FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 (Double-click app)

1st Open: 10 seconds to the open file prompt

After the update to Mac OS X 10.9.3 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v3:

Mac OS X 10.9.3, FileMaker Pro 12.0v5 (Double-click app)

1st Open: 6 seconds to the splash screen, 9 seconds to the open file prompt

Mac OS X 10.9.3, FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 (Double-click app)

1st Open: 6 seconds to the open file prompt

Mac OS X 10.9.3, FileMaker Pro 12.0v5 (Double-click .fmp12)

1st Open: 15-45 seconds to the splash screen, 30-45 seconds to the open file prompt

Mac OS X 10.9.3, FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 (Double-click .fmp12)

1st Open: 15-30 seconds to the open file prompt

In my testing, both FileMaker Pro 12.0v5 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 open quicker if the application is double-clicked when installed to Mac OS X 10.9.3 than Mac OS X 10.9.2.

However, upon first boot-up if a .fmp12 database file is double-clicked to launch FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 Advanced, then the application takes 2 or 3 times longer to launch. The workaround is to first open FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 Advanced from the application folder or dock's shortcut.

Additionally, I forwarded a report to Testing and Development for review.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
                            Benjamin Fehr

TSFalcon:

It appears that 360Works Scriptmaster PlugIn v4.2 (the current version!) causes that delay. Deactivating Scriptmaster solves this issue.

I don't need this PlugIn currently. Who ever is affected by this should do further testings wether this issue might be related to the location of the PlugIn:

/ Applications / FMPro / Extensions /

OR

/Library/Application Support / FMPro / 13.0 / Extensions /

• 11. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4

Benjamin Fehr:

Thank you for the additional information. 

Upon further testing myself, I am also no longer able to replicate this issue on Mac OS X 10.9.4 without any plugins. I've updated the report to include our findings.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
                                Benjamin Fehr

this issue appears again with actual Yosemite AND 2empowerFM Family v2.4.2 PlugIn

• 13. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
                                  TSGal

Benjamin Fehr:

I am unable to replicate the issue.  I have just installed Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), and FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 only took a few seconds to load.  I do not have any plug-ins installed.

If you remove the plug-in, does the issue still occur?

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Starting up FMP 13 under Mac OSX 10.9.3 beta 4
                                    Benjamin Fehr

TSGal:

it's solely related to the 2empowerFM Family v2.4.2 PlugIn for the moment. Deactivating this Plug solves the issue. 

I've sent a bug-report to Draconvention already. Though let's call this theirs problem to concern.

For us relevant is to know that 3rd-Party products may cause issues which has to be considered as no FMP bugs.