Startup blank window - no fields or data

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM Pro 14 Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.10.4 Yosemite

Description of the issue

When I startup FM 14 by clicking the datafile icon on the dock at the bottom of the screen, the file takes longer than usual to open. And when it does open, it is just a blank window with no fields or data showing in the window (see the uploaded Screen Shot 1). There is a long pause before it finally dumps my layout into the window with all my fields and data. Filemaker 12 never did that. Why does it come up with an empty window and take so long to finally show my layout with the data???

Steps to reproduce the problem

If I quit the program (FM Pro 14 Advanced) and then open one of my databases, it does the same thing every time.

Screen1.png

• 1. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data

Ed Stevens:

Thank you for the post. 

I am not able to replicate. I placed a database file on my dock and with FileMaker Pro 14.0.1, clicked the file to open the program and the database. 

Does this occur with a brand new test file or one of the starter solutions? 

If yes, then the FileMaker Pro 14 installation may be corrupt and I would suggest a reinstall. If the issue only occurs with one of the databases, then the file may be corrupt and I would suggest running recovery. 

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".

2. Recover does not detect all problems

3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly

4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledge base article that you may find useful:

What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
            Fred(CH)

Same issue here.

Even with a database i just created from scratch with FM14 and even if the file is stored locally on my desktop. Even if i define a startup layout on File options.

I can reproduce the behavior with FileMaker 14.0.1 on two different computers : one running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 and other with OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 and with all databases.

I tried to start FMP on 32 bit mode and/or low res but i got the same behavior.

I cannot reproduce with FileMaker 13.0v5.

TSFalcon : are you very sure that FileMaker was closed when you made your testings ?

• 3. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
              CamelCase

I've also had this on my 10.9.5 iMac (not on any of my 10.10s), in a hosted file created in FileMaker 10 or so, still using the "Classic" theme.

• 4. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
                preterist1@preterist.org

Fred: You found the same thing I have. It happens only when the FM 14 application is started up. If the FM 14 application is already on, the files display their data properly. So the problem occurs when the application is opened. 

I also wonder if fonts might have something to do with it? When I loaded in some new fonts to the system, I noticed that my files took longer to open and display the data in the window. That may not be related, but I thought I would throw it in there, just in case.

• 5. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
                  Fred(CH)

So the problem occurs when the application is opened. 

My english is poor but if we agree, i would underline So the problem occurs when the application is opening.

• 6. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data

@All:

Thank you for the replies. 

Some additional questions to assist us with narrowing this down:

“the file takes longer than usual to open.”

1. How much longer? A second longer? Three seconds longer? More?

“There is a long pause before it finally dumps my layout into the window with all my fields and data.”

2. How long is the “pause”?

“I cannot reproduce with FileMaker 13.0v5.”

In my testing, the amount of time between clicking the file and seeing the loaded layout is identical; however, FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced) takes longer to display the initial window.

3. If you time the two opens, then does this line up with your testing?

“I can reproduce the behavior with FileMaker 14.0.1 on two different computers”

4. How large is the database being loaded in terms of records?

5. What other applications are running at the time of open?

6. If you quit all applications and perform this test, then does that make a noticeable difference in the time to see the records load?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
                      Fred(CH)
                      I am not sure this is really a speed problem. After a system restart, sounds like FMP13 take much more time to startup. But, since its second startup, the difference between the two apps is tiny here. After a lot of tries, here my averages :
                      FileMaker 14 : 3.8 sec
                      FileMaker 13.0v4 : 4.3 (second launch)

But the fact is that, systematically, FMP 14 show *less than one second* a "grey" window. Comparing the two apps, i feel like the Window is drawn too early and FileMaker has nothing to show yet. And it is coherent with TSFalcon remark : "however, FileMaker Pro 13 (Advanced) takes longer to display the initial window."

My test database have two records one table and one layout and is 200K large.
                      I did my original test without any other app open.

In conclusion, to me, it is more a "cosmetic" issue than a real fonctional problem.

• 8. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
                        Markus Schneider

TS:

check this webinar out (it's from Your company)

http://www.filemaker.com/de/learning/webinars/webinar_video.html?v=132827160&aliId=154304063

shortly after 09:00 [Edit: After 10:00]

- fm crashes

- fm restarted -> blank window for quite a long time, but content will appear finally

I did some tests as well - I couldn't replicate, but depending on file size, network, etc, a blank window will appear for a while. Maybe others here did not wait long enough... (if some kind soul could help with the crash...)

• 9. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
                          Fred(CH)

Thanks Markus we can see the behavior described here and plus a crash. I just wanted to add that My FMP crash sometimes (~1 per day when full time work).

I imagine that it is usual that, after a crash, FileMaker can take longer to start, even if the file is hosted... or i am wrong ?

shortly after 09:00 [Edit: After 10:00]

10:48 : crash
                          11:06 : loooong startup with the same grey windows as described here

• 10. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
                            Markus Schneider

I'm just afraid that no one will read this since the thread is marked as solved...

• 11. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
                              Fred(CH)

Don't worry, i never saw TSFalcon giving up before having an explanation to give or, at least, a confirmation that a report has been sent to T&D.

• 12. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
                                Markus Schneider

bump...

Any TS folks here?

(-:

• 13. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data

@markus schneider:

Thank you for the reply. 

The crash in the video should be treated as a separate issue. If you have steps to replicate such a crash, please let me know.

The longer delay for the window loading after the crash does seem correlated to the amount of time the window shows gray before loading, and I have submitted a report to Testing and Development for feedback. I suspect after a crash, a consistency check occurs on the file which delays the window’s loading, but I will get more information from Testing. 

@All:

I have also reported the gray window loading issue to Testing and Development to get some feedback on the difference between FileMaker Pro 13 (delay in showing the window) and FileMaker Pro 14 (delay in loading the window’s contents).

What would everyone on this thread prefer the behavior to be? 

Would you rather the window wait to display like in FileMaker Pro 13 so they gray window isn’t shown, or would the preferred behavior be to see the gray window until loading? 

In my testing, the amount of time the gray window shows seems to be related to the file’s complexity (startup scripts, file size, number of layout objects, etc.).

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Startup blank window - no fields or data
                                    preterist1@preterist.org

TSFalcon: The long wait is the problem. It sometimes takes FMP 14 Advanced ten or fifteen seconds (sometimes more) to finish loading after the empty window pops on the screen. My old FMP 12 Advanced never took that long, nor did it have a blank window appear on the screen. It popped right up there very quickly. So there must be a lot more app code to load for FMP 14. And it evidently waits to load the rest of the data in the window of the file until all the app code is loaded. Is that correct?

I guess my preference would be to have a progress bar or a dialog box pop up there first to let me know to wait for it to finish loading the app. Having a blank file window pop up there first is frustrating. It makes me wonder if the file is damaged or corrupted. It would be better not to put the file window on the screen until the data is ready to be dumped into it. While the app is still loading, a progress bar is all that is needed. Is that a do-able solution?

1 2 Previous Next