Summary

Store only as a reference to a file...extreme latency on insert

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

XP

Description of the issue

Using a container field to reference files (Word, Excel, PDF) on a network server...experiencing extreme latency on initial insert.  Tested with jpg, gif, and bmp network files and experienced no latency.  I use the "store only as a reference" option for accessing these files.  When attaching to local files, no latency either.  Many network files I tested with are very small (under 20k) and still experienced extreme latency.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Store only as a reference to a file...extreme latency on insert
          TSGal

Mark Rieland:

Thank you for your post.

A local hard drive is going to perform faster than a network drive.  If the file is large, then FileMaker will need time accessing the file over the network.  If the file is a TIFF file, since the file format is larger than other graphic formats, you will also notice a decrease in performance accessing the file.

Any other information you can provide about the files being referenced may also be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Store only as a reference to a file...extreme latency on insert
            compyk

Has this been resolved, we are still dealing with this issue.
                  Locally doing a insert file by reference is fine, but doing an insert by reference from our mapped drive takes about 20-30 seconds. If you insert a file without a reference then it is quick.

I should also mention it is quick if we insert a tiff file by reference. It only takes a long time if it is a pdf or word file.

• 3. Re: Store only as a reference to a file...extreme latency on insert
              TSGal

K Smith:

Thank you for your post.

I did not receive a response from the original poster so I don't know if this was resolved.

If you access the drive directly instead of mapping it to a drive letter, does it work faster?  This will let me know if the mapping is what is causing the issue.

Like the original poster, are you using FileMaker Pro 11 on Windows XP?  What specific version of FileMaker Pro 11 are you using?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Store only as a reference to a file...extreme latency on insert
                compyk

Filemaker pro 11 advance - windows 7.

I have tested it on 2 other laptops that are running windows 7 and its runs fine.

I have tried adding the files via \\SERVERNAME\FOLDER\FILE and via T:\FOLDERNAME\FILE and its the same slow process.

I can add a picture file through the network and its very fast, just having issues with text files (PDF, OUTLOOK EMAILS, WORD DOCS).

What happens is that it spins the busy icon then at the top it says (not responding) and then after a few seconds adds the file.

Again if it is not a reference file its fine, and if it is done locally it is fine, it is only having issues when adding a file by reference through the network/mapped drive.

I should also mention the environment:

Windows XP - host the shared filemaker program

Windows 7 gateway laptop - opens the filemaker file remotely and is running on a data entry only priviledge set.

However testing on 2 other windows 7 hp laptops, it runs fine.

Things I have tried:

reinstalling filemaker on the windows 7 laptop.
                     turning off firewall
                     mapping the drive using the ip address rather than servername and vice versa
                     checked for background apps that could interfere (didn't see any)

• 5. Re: Store only as a reference to a file...extreme latency on insert
                  TSGal

K Smith:

Thanks for the additional information.

Since this works on two other laptops, we need to determine what is different about the other computers compared to the computer that isn't working.

When you reinstalled FileMaker Pro 11, did you fully remove FileMaker Pro 11 (Advanced) before reinstalling?  Otherwise, some files are not fully removed, and the reinstallation will not overwrite those files.  In other words, make sure you entirely remove the FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced folder before reinstallation.  If FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced is the only FileMaker application on your computer, then further remove the "FileMaker" folder before reinstalling.

The Firewall only stops incoming connections to your computer; not linking of files.

Since the mapping and direct mounting both fail, we can rule out any mapping issues.

Any other information you can provide about the differences between the laptops, even if they seem minute, could be helpful.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.