Summary

Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.8

Description of the issue

I'm wanting to move my external container field storage to a new thunderbolt drive attached to the server.  I've successfully created the storage paths for two fields on the drive while wiring with the file on the server.  Once I quit FMPA 13 on the server and started FMS back up, the pdf file are shown missing on connected clients. 

The external paths were set up as follows:

/Volumes/ADM G-Raid/Case_Documents/

This worked and I was able to store files in the container fields and saw that they were being stored on the external drive.

After closing and opening with a client, the path now indicates as follows:

[hosted location]/Volumes/ADM G-Raid/Case_Documents/

The file indicates a missing pdf.

I'm assuming  the path is not set up correctly for connected clients and that is why it is changing to the hosted location.

I'm looking to set the path to the external drive due to the massive storage I will be using in the future.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

See Post:  http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/4d53f1416b?commentId=278122#278122

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have entered the path as follows:

/Volumes/VolumeName/Folder/

After quitting FMP 13 on the host machine and starting up the server, it changes the path to :

[database location]/Volumes/VolumeName/Folder/

Then creates the folders in the library.

I'm trying to get all container files stored on the attached drive away from the DB location.  I'm under the impression it is not possible.

When I try a path as:  filemac:/Volumes/VolumeName/Folder/

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

I get:

"This path is not valid. Correct platform syntax must be used, and the path can not exceed 200 characters."

• 1. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
          TSGal

GXpilot:

Thank you for your post.

For Mac OS X, the path must start with filemac:/

That is, filemac:/volumeName/folderName/

Change your path to:

filemac:/ADM G-Raid/Case_Documents/

For more information, see page 77 of FileMaker Server Help at:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fms13_help.pdf

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
            jbholzhey

TSGal, that is not working at all. The documentation even differs from the management dialog with respect to the format of the path.

• 3. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
              jbholzhey

When following the path format shown on the container management dialog, FM treats it relative to the local machine, then automatically appends [hosted location] when uploading to the server. It is not possible to edit the paths after uploading to the server.

Perhaps my original post from the other thread will help:

This was not possible in FMS12, but it's SUPPOSED to be possible now. However, I keep getting the same result you are getting.

Current behavior: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10244

Are containers with external storage supported when hosted via FileMaker Server?
              Yes, when a file is added to a container field that is configured for external storage, the files are automatically transferred to the server machine. A directory is created next to the database file within the "Databases" folder within the "FileMaker Server" directory.

Documented Enhancement for FMS13: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11888/~/container-field-enhancements-in-filemaker

Enhancements to Container Fields

•                     When using FileMaker Server, you can now configure / store container data on a separate drive.  For example, you can use a fast solid state drive (SSD) for your database and a large, slower drive for your container field data.
              •           

Before I found the "Enhancements" information, I actually called FM (yesterday) to ask if storing to a secondary disk was possible. The technician told me no, it is not possible. However, which is correct? The tech or the documentation?

EDIT: This page also hints at the idea that this "Enhancement" is completely bogus...

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11957/~/uploading-database-files-to-filemaker-server

• 4. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                TSGal

JBH:

Thank you for your posts.

After unsuccessfully trying to set this up, I discussed this with other support technicians.  In essence, I was wrong.  The technician is correct.

In FileMaker Server 13, the remote containers must be located on the same drive where the database is located.  If the database is located on a remote server, then the container path must also be on that remote server in the relative path to the database file.

I have submitted the issue to our Documentation department so this is made clearer in a future release.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                  jbholzhey

Thank you, TSGal. I am wondering if this enhancement was something that was originally intended for the v13 release, but was not ready by launch, so was then pulled. That is the only reason I can think of for how it got into the documentation. Regardless, I can only imaging that it will be implemented eventually.

Thank you for your help.

• 6. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                    TSGal

JBH:

After revisiting this thread and working with a Tester on this issue, we finally set this up so it works in FileMaker Server 13.  In essence, the external volume was set up with a user account, and then FileMaker Server was used to access that same user account.  In the external volume, we set up a folder named "Other" to be shared, and placed a Test folder inside of Other.  In FileMaker Server, we set the remote Container path to:

filewin://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Other/Test
                    (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP Address of the remote server.  You could also use the DNS)

This worked, as the remote Container information was now stored in the remote volume in the Other/Test folder.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                      Fred(CH)

Hi TSGal,

Is it correct to say actually your last tip only can works on a Windows FileMaker Server ?

Since it is a long standing known limitation of Mac platform, also with past versions, when one try to configure a secondary folder, for instance for backups, in a remote volume. More info about this issue are available on this KB article.

To see if secondary Database and Remote container folders behave differently, i nevertheless did some test on my FMS 13 under OS X 10.8.5, using the tips provided on this thread : no luck !

If i am right, the documentation should definitely be updated to illustrate this OS X limitation on all possible occurrences.

Thank you !

Fred

• 8. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                        Fred(CH)

Hi TSGal,

You would be very kind to confirm or not my suspicions when you have a bit of time.

Thanks in advance, Fred

• 9. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                          TSGal

Fred:

Backups can only be saved to the current hard drive.  You will have to create a system level script to move files from one drive to another.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                            Fred(CH)

Thanks TSGal.

In fact, my request was if you could confirm that the solution you posted the october 30 on this thread, concerning secondary folder of remote containers, using an host IP address as root, was also Windows only.

And if so, to suggest to Documentation to be more clear about this Mac and Windows difference on all possible occurrences.

Bye, Fred

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

• 11. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                              Fred(CH)

TSGal,

I will take your silence as a "yes", and argue that kind of omission / inaccuracy on documentation or assistance tip can lead the rest of us to a lot of time waste, while testing / trying "unworking" techniques, also result to a lot of of "unbillable" time.

Bye, Fred

• 12. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                                TSGal

Fred:

The original poster was on Windows, so that is what was tested.  Specifically, a shared folder "Other" was assigned to the "Z:" drive, and the Other folder contained a folder "Test".  The path used was:

filewin://<IP Address>/Other/Test/

For a Mac, I have a volume mounted, so I just reference the volume name.  For example, on the server, I mounted a second server named "Server" and created a folder "Test".  I can then link the Container data to:

filemac://Server/Test/

When I specify an IP Address, I realized that the Server folder is embedded inside the Support user directory, so I had to use:

filemac://<IP Address>/Support/Server/Test/

Is that what you are looking for?

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                                  Fred(CH)

Fred:

The original poster was on Windows, so that is what was tested.

I think it is wrong :

• 14. Re: Storing container field data in external source with FMP 13
                                    Fred(CH)

For a Mac, I have a volume mounted, so I just reference the volume name.  For example, on the server, I mounted a second server named "Server" and created a folder "Test".  I can then link the Container data to:

filemac://Server/Test/

When I specify an IP Address, I realized that the Server folder is embedded inside the Support user directory, so I had to use:

filemac://<IP Address>/Support/Server/Test/

I tried to accomplish that during for hours and was unable to succeed.

All attempts outside the system disk failed. It was true for backup folder and secondary database / RC folders.

Fred (from the real world)

1 2 Previous Next