7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 2:21 PM by RKEvans

Strange Wierd Graphics Issue in Status Bar FileMaker Pro v10

databuzz

Summary

Strange Wierd Graphics Issue in Status Bar FileMaker Pro v10

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved FileMaker Pro v10.0v1Operating System(s) involved Windows XP SP3Detailed description of the issue Open existing file in FileMaker Pro v10 and view the Status Bar. Strange black graphic lines and rectangles appear in the Status Bar. See linked screenshot here:  Exact steps to reproduce the issue Open FileMaker Pro file in v10 and view Status Bar.Expected Result No strange black graphics in Status Bar.Actual Result Strange black graphics in Status Bar.Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared N/AAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue N/AAny workarounds that you have found No.

• 1. Re: Strange Wierd Graphics Issue in Status Bar FileMaker Pro v10
          philmodjunk

This is a well known oft reported bug. It appears to be harmless. It's been driving the tech folks "buggy" because it comes and goes.

Here's the only pattern I've noticed in this: I've only seen it appear when the status bar is already hidden, I enter layout mode and then expose the status bar.

• 2. Re: Strange Wierd Graphics Issue in Status Bar FileMaker Pro v10
            TSGal

aduncan:

Thank you for your post.

"PhilModJunk" is correct.  I originally encountered this same problem, but I have never been able to duplicate it since.  This was reported to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments, and they have been unable to reproduce it.  We know it exists, but without knowing how to duplicate it (consistently), this will remain a mystery.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Strange Wierd Graphics Issue in Status Bar FileMaker Pro v10
              philmodjunk

I was "that" close to emailing a file to TSgal that I thought had finally trapped this bug in a bottle for the techies to test.

I create a script in a brand new db file (not converted from an earlier version), that used Freeze Window and also hid the status area. I set the script as an "on open" script in File Options. I then open the file, entered layout mode and exposed the status area. Success! (or so I thought :smileysad: ) The bug persisted through multiple open and closes. I then played with the script, removing and disabling various steps and the problem disappeared. I then restored the script to its original, two line format and...the...problem...did...not...re-appear! :smileymad:

Perhaps if the tech folks play with the following script, they can figure something out:

Freeze Window

Toggle Status Area [hide]

Set it as an on open script.

Close and open the file.

Enter layout mode and click the control at the bottom of the window to expose the status area.

It might reproduce the bug, it might not.

I have a copy of FMP open right now and I see this bug. Tomorrow, when I open the file, I might not.

(I'm using Windows XP sp3)

• 4. Re: Strange Wierd Graphics Issue in Status Bar FileMaker Pro v10
                TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thanks for trying to get this to replicate on a consistent manner has been elusive.

I used your "On open" script on my Dell Dimension running Windows XP (sp3), and after 20 or so tries, I was still unable to duplicate the problem.  I switched between opening the file using ctrol-O and File -> Open, and switching turning on the Status Bar through the View menu and the icon at the bottom.  No luck.

If you ever do find a consistent way, PLEASE let us know!  I definitely know it exists.

TSGal

Filemaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Strange Wierd Graphics Issue in Status Bar FileMaker Pro v10
                  RKEvans
                     I'm running Vista and FMP v10 Advanced and get this strange wierd graphic problem no matter what I do ... in browse, layout, and find modes, in every file I open, etc..  I did not delete the demo version of V10 before installing ... could this have anything to do with it?  Should I try reinstalling the whole program?
                  • 6. Re: Strange Wierd Graphics Issue in Status Bar FileMaker Pro v10
                    TSGal

RKEvans:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Is this graphic problem still showing?

This problem was finally narrowed down as we found a reproducible case.  If you open a file without the Status Bar, and then turn on the Status Bar, the black box appears.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Strange Wierd Graphics Issue in Status Bar FileMaker Pro v10
                      RKEvans
                         Thanks for following up on this issue.  It's a relief to know now how I can open my files without those 'Strange Wierd Graphics'.  It makes sense since I have almost always opened my files in the past with the status bar closed (usually telling it to close in the startup script).