6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 10:47 AM by 5104919325FTN

Sub-Summary option 'allow part to break across page bounderies' displaying incorrectly.

BrentHedden1

Summary

Sub-Summary option 'allow part to break across page bounderies' displaying incorrectly.

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved - FileMaker Pro & Advanced 11, FM Server 11 AdvancedOperating System(s) involved - Windows XP sp3 & Windows 7 clients, Windows Server 2008 sp2Detailed description of the issue - A problem arises with allowing a sub-summary part(s) to ‘allow part to break across page boundaries’.  If this option is turned on, the contents of the part will show in the parts above it (body, header, etc).  This is true whether printing or viewing it in Preview mode.  If the option is turned off, then it displays as expected.  Previewing the same layout in FileMaker 10 works as expected.Exact steps to reproduce the issue - With a report layout that was built originally with FM10, opening it with FM11, creating a found set and sorting as needed for sub summaries.  The report has the following parts -HeaderBodySub Summary (trailing)Another Sub Summary (trailing)Trailing Grand SummaryFooter The information in the sub summaries has to be able to be large enough to invoke a page break.Expected Result - The page break in a sub-summary to display under the body part.Actual Result - The sub-summary part displays over the header & body parts, making reading any text impossible.Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared - noneAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue - screenshots/files available upon request.Any workarounds that you have found - turning off the page break option will display the sub-summary correctly. But this isn't a solution as the previous page will display a large white area where the sub-summary could have gone.

• 1. Re: Sub-Summary option 'allow part to break across page bounderies' displaying incorrectly.
          TSGal

BrentHedden:

Thank you for your post.

I have been unsuccessful reproducing this problem.  This is what I have done using FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced on Windows XP SP3:

I created a database file (Test.fp7) with the following fields:

ID (Text)

Class (Text)

Name (Text)

I entered several records where ID had the values 1 through 7, and Class had values 1 through 7.

I created a Layout with the same parts:

Header

Body

Sub Summary (by Class - trailing)

Sub-Summary (by ID - trailing)

Trailing Grand Summary

Footer

In the Sub-summary sections, I sized it fairly large and added rectangles, ovals, lines, etc.  In the Header and Footer, I inserted Colored Text (blue) that said "THIS IS SOME TEXT IN THE HEADER" and "THIS IS SOME TEXT IN THE FOOTER", and placed them close to the other parts.  For the Sub-Summary parts, I checked the option "Allow part to break across page boundaries".  Everything displays properly in Preview.  I then selected the Body part and checked the option "Allow part to break across page boundaries".  Still, everything displays properly in Preview.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.

I don't doubt this is happening to you.  I'm just trying to find a way to replicate the problem.  If you have a clone of your file, or a file with sample data that I can try, I would like to see it and try it here.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon just below the blue horizontal bar) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Sub-Summary option 'allow part to break across page bounderies' displaying incorrectly.
            5104919325FTN

This problem is relative to what I called the "vertical spacing at the end of the page".

The same problem was seen on FileMaker until 6.

If you follow the accurate way I show on my example file, this problem "should" not occure.

If the file did right with FM10, it is a proof more for my theorie.

• 3. Re: Sub-Summary option 'allow part to break across page bounderies' displaying incorrectly.
              TSGal

BrentHedden:

I received your email.  Unfortunately, the username and password is not working.  Please reset and send a new username and password to try.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Sub-Summary option 'allow part to break across page bounderies' displaying incorrectly.
                BrentHedden1

fabricker - Which example file are you referring to? 

• 5. Re: Sub-Summary option 'allow part to break across page bounderies' displaying incorrectly.
                  BrentHedden1

I just tested the same UN/PW and it was working fine for me.  Odd. 

I was able to slim down the two files so they would fit as an attachment on an email, but it got bounced back to me by your mail system.  What is the attachment filesize limit for emails comming to you?

• 6. Re: Sub-Summary option 'allow part to break across page bounderies' displaying incorrectly.
                    5104919325FTN

BrentHedden wrote:

fabricker - Which example file are you referring to? 

Oh! Sorry, I forgot to write it *special* for TSGal (Hi you!).

I wrote an article in the German FileMaker Magazin* about "the return of the half-cut prints" bug and built an example file with a "step-by-step" layouts -- sort of a guide, how to avoid this problem.

I made some screenshots of it for my Bug-Report** (which strangely seems to be relatively igrnored ... Do American users ever write longer texts than one page and want to print them safe?).

And then I sent the file to TSGal for some surgical tests she did and the file went after that deep into the FileMaker Inc donjon.

I hope I will get some feedback some day*** ...

This is the file I was speaking about.

The problem is also correlated with this one (I think, I'm still waiting for a confirmation from FM).

* Comes out in two weeks

** It also cures this related problem on label printers ...

*** If FileMaker wants to invite me at the DevCon to explain it, no problem ... I can speak free 2 hours long about typo and FileMaker, if they want :-D