Subsummary not hidden on unsort / form view

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v3

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

If a layout is displayed in form view, unsorting records does not hide subsummary.

Steps to reproduce the problem

create a layout with a subsummary based on a field
      sort the records -> the subsummary is correctly displayed
      unsort -> the records are unsorted, but the subsummary is still displayed

Expected result

subsum hidden

Actual result

subsum not hidden

Workaround

create a second layout to display/hide conditional information (ugly fix)

• 1. Re: Subsummary not hidden on unsort / form view

fabriceN:

Thank you for the post.

A subsummary field will always display the total in Form View regardless of the sort. In order for me to better understand the issue, perhaps you could post a screen shot?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Subsummary not hidden on unsort / form view
            CamelCase_data

I believe Fabrice is referring to a subsummary PART, not (only) a subsummary FIELD.

• 3. Re: Subsummary not hidden on unsort / form view
              fabriceN

Indeed. I guess you could tell with the steps to reproduce the problem ;)

• 4. Re: Subsummary not hidden on unsort / form view
                TSGal

fabriceN:

Thank you for the clarificatioin.

I'm having a little difficulty understanding the issue...

Suppose I'm trying to display a detailed account of expenses for each person while sub-summarizing the totals.  I might have a leading Sub-Summary by Name that includes the Name field.  In the Body, I have only the Amount field.  In the trailing Sub-Summary by Name, I include a Total Summary field that is a Total of Amount.  When I sort by name and go to Preview, I see all the desired information.  If I unsort, I still show the three fields and the two Sub-Summary parts.  Are you expecting both Sub-Summary parts to be hidden?  That would only leave the Body part with the Amount field, and you would not know which Name would be associated with that Amount.  Perhaps I'm not grasping the complete issue.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Subsummary not hidden on unsort / form view
                  philmodjunk

TSGal, I've been waiting to see if this is "by design" or not. As a point of clarification, if you are in list view, the sub summary layout parts DO disappear if the records are not sorted by that sub summary part's break field. In list view, this makes sense and can be a handy way to produce a variety of reports from a single layout by sorting the records into different orders.

But I'm not sure why one would use a sub summary layout part in form view in the first place...

• 6. Re: Subsummary not hidden on unsort / form view
                    fabriceN

Hi,

subsummaries are a convenient way to conditionnally display something on the layout.

on a form view, it can (could) be sorted on any field, and this would allow you to have layout objects displayed/hidden.

I'm not using them for summary/reporting purpose in this context. I simply want, in my example, to display/hide a button bar above the layout body.