Summary

Subsummary report breaks awkwardly

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Reports in list view look awkward due to Filemaker's inability to add page breaks to keep categories together.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a table with two columns. Enter about 100+ records into the table, with one being a "category" and another being any random value, like a name, for example.

Create a report from this table and have it sorted by the "category" with a sub-summary by the category layout part above the Body. Add the second column field into the Body.

So, essentially, you have created groups of categories with sub-fields, like:

Category A
         Value 1
         Value 2
         Value 3
      Category B
         Value 4
         Value 5
         Value 6
         Value 7
      Category C
         Value 8
         Value 9

And so on. It is important to note here that the sizes of the groups vary.

Go to print preview mode and see what you get: say you have a long list of values and your report runs over one page. Instead of moving the entire category group over to the next page, Filemaker by default just breaks the list of individual items and starts them on the next page. Unless the reader of the report flips to previous page, they're essentially clueless as to what group the values belong to. This is not an elegant report format.

Expected result

I would have expected FileMaker, similar to what is possible with Microsoft Access, to have the option to keep subsummary categories and their value lists together on one page. I assumed that an unchecked value for "Allow part to break across page boundaries" in the Part Definition options for Body would fix this issue, but it does not.

Actual result

The result, again, is an awkward-looking multi-page report that does not allow for easy readability.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There are no error messages that appear.

Workaround

There is a workaround that sort-of works by adding a conditional header that marks the continuation of a previous page's subsummary category. However, the field MUST go in the header (whereas the other subsummaries are lower, above the Body layout part), and does not resolve the page break issue.

screenshot.JPG

• 1. Re: Subsummary report breaks awkwardly
          TSGal

Mikko Lindberg:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Without some additional scripting, the Sub-Summary part is not going to print a second time at the beginning of the next page.  Also, the option  "Allow part to break across page boundaries" is for that particular part; not the Body parts and values that occur after the Leading Sub-Summary part.

I encourage you to enter this information into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are monitored and read by Development and Product Management where they are then discussed and considered for future revisions.  I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Subsummary report breaks awkwardly
            meg_cuddihee

I just added a feature request for this same feature.  Copy and pasted some of the text above.  I've been wanting this for years.

For some of my reports I manually set a break field - I use scripts to automate the process of incrementing that break field.

(It adds one to the rest of the records.)  Time consuming and not practical for all reports, but for annual reports going to CFO - a must!