Sudden File Opening Problems

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11 Advanced

Operating system version

Microsoft Vista

Description of the issue

I am suddenly having problems opening files. FMPro is suddenly requiring usernames and passwords when previously it didn't. I have not changed anything. I created an application consisting of 45 tables using FMPro 6 Developer. I was making a few small changes in some visual aspects when suddenly FMPro started asking for login data. The username it states is correct as far as the one I use to log into my computer. BUT ... no matter what password I use it will not open the table file. This is costing me some big bucks. I give my customers a fixed price for my information systems and a hard date of delivery. Why does FMPro do this???? Initially, all files worked just like they did when in the FMPro 6 Developer format. Why did this change? How Can I fix it!!!!

• 1. Re: Sudden File Opening Problems

Domenico Nardacchionne:

Thanks for posting!

The default username and password for files created in FileMaker Pro 7 through Filemaker Pro 11 is Admin and no password.

Since the account structure changed between FileMaker Pro 6 and FileMaker Pro 7, we have a couple of possibilities as far as what your current password is. If you've never had a password on the file in FileMaker Pro 6, then, after conversion, the Guest account should be enabled and set to Full Access. If you did have a password set, the conversion process should take that password and set it to be both the username and password of the new file. 

For more information on the security changes that may occur to the file after conversion, please see knowledge base answer #571:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/571

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Sudden File Opening Problems
            philmodjunk

You'll need to check your converted files for other issues after conversion once you resolve the password issues. http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750/kw/converting

The conversion wen pretty well for me when I converted a similar sized set of 5.5 files, but there were some niggling little details that had to be fixed, so be prepared to do some extensive testing to make sure you've tied up all the loose ends here.