suddenly I'm getting a strange error report

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

7.0v2

Operating system version

Mac OS X verson 10.6.8

Description of the issue

Suddenly I started getting the message "The temporary file 'FMTEMPFM4fad04aa3f13.tmp' could not be created on the system disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, or unlock it." when I try to open a file maker file.  None of the files is locked and I have plenty of room on the disk (391 G).  What's happening?

Steps to reproduce the problem

I keep trying to open Filemaker files and getting the same message.

• 1. Re: suddenly I'm getting a strange error report
          TSGal

Bob Headley:

Thank you for your post.

When a file is opened, it makes a temporary file of the database file on your hard drive (Macintosh HD/private/var/....).  Therefore, make sure you have full read and write privileges to the hard drive where your system is loaded, or you have enough room.

Try creating a new database file with one Text field, and set the Text field to "Get (TemporaryPath)" (either in a script or button).  This will let you know where FileMaker Pro is having trouble creating the Temp file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: suddenly I'm getting a strange error report
            BobHeadley

Thanks for your answer.  I tried to create a new database, but I get the same message.  I tried installing FileMaker Pro from my original disk, but that doesn't help either.  This is really frustrating because I use FileMaker Pro a lot and I have some important databases in it.  I am the only person who uses this computer and I should have complete read/write privileges.  What can I do?

• 3. Re: suddenly I'm getting a strange error report
              TSGal

Bob Headley:

Run Disk Utility (Hard Disk -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility), select the hard disk and repair disk permissions.  See if any errors are returned.

What has changed on your system prior to this failing?  Was anything new installed?  Still, if you have verified full read & write privileges, temporarily try this on another machine.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: suddenly I'm getting a strange error report
                BobHeadley

I ran disk utility "repair disk permissions" I got a lot of messages that I did not understand, but the utility said that permissions had been repaired. but when I tried FileMaker again I got the same message that I reported.

I did not change nything on the machine prior to getting the error message.  All I did was export a database and am now working on it in Word.

I don't have another machine to try it on.  I cannot tell you how troubling this is.  I have used FileMaker since version 2.0 and never had anything like this happen, but if I cannot count on it, I'll have to find some other application.

I hope you can help me with this.

• 5. Re: suddenly I'm getting a strange error report
                  TSGal

Bob Headley:

If your disk permissions were repaired, try running Disk Utility again, until no more repairs are needed.

If this still fails, then run Terminal and make sure you have full read & write privileges in the /private/var/folders/ folder.  If need to change permission, then issue the command:

sudo chmod ug+rwx /private/var/folders

This will make all files and sub-folders inside "folders" read/write access for user and groups.

This applies to all versiions of FileMaker Pro, beginning with FileMaker Pro 1.0.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: suddenly I'm getting a strange error report
                    BobHeadley

I cannot find any command to run Terminal.  How do I run it? Does it work on a MAC? Do I type "sudo chmod etc." into the command wndow and check "run command inside a shell"? Sorry, but all this is really unknown territory for me.  Also, how do I make sure that I have full read & write privileges in the / private / var / folders / folder?

I've been using this computer for over a year and have never had any problems with access until now.

Thanks again.

Bob Headley

• 7. Re: suddenly I'm getting a strange error report
                      TSGal

Bob Headley:

If you are unfamiliar with Terminal, I would advise you to not make any changes, but instead visit an Apple Store and work with a genius there.  As I said previously, unless this gets changed, you will have this same issue regardless which version of FileMaker Pro you are using.

Terminal is an application that can be found in the folder:

Hard Disk -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

When you get the prompt, copy the following command to the clipboard and paste into Terminal:

sudo chmod ug+rwx /private/var/folders

Press return, and you should be set to go.  Quit Terminal and launch FileMaker Pro again.

If the problem still exists, try creating a new user account, login to the new user account, and launch FileMaker Pro.

If the problem still exists, then remove FileMaker Pro from your hard disk and reinstall.

If the problem still exists, then there is still something in the system level that is not allowing FileMaker Pro to create files.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.