system crash

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMPA 11.0.4

Operating system version

iMac 10.6.8

Description of the issue

When scrolling or moving an object in Layout mode or moving relationships or scrolling in Relationships complete crash. No warning no log, black screen power off indication.  Maybe related, noticed after bumping ram up to 16 gig, ran every ram test our IT could find and ram always good.  I use photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Filemaker, Firefox, Adobe Acrobat pro,  all of the time.  But after a crash I usually start up Filemaker first and on many occasions FM would crash while only it running and me editing databases.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Running fewer apps ?

Expected result

Doesnt matter

Actual result

in a blink, black screen

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no messages

Configuration information

iMac 27, 16 gig ram, working across lan with Filemaker Server 11

Workaround

Restart

• 1. Re: system crash
          user15307

JCamera,

Thank you for posting. I apologize for the late reply.

It's likely the "black screen power off indication" is a Mac OS X kernel panic.

Please refer to this knowledge base article from the Apple Support site to see if this is what is happening on your Mac:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3742

This article gives a very detailed list of troubleshooting steps, should that be what you are seeing.

I would be concerned about the possibility of corruption to the files that you had open when these crashes happened.  For the FileMaker files, you should run Recovery.  If damage is found, it would be advisable that you revert to known-good backups of your files.

Please let me know if you have additional details since your post that may be helpful in identifying what happened.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.