Summary

Tab objects inside tab objects alignment problem

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac Lion

Description of the issue

A tab object that sits inside a tab object with the bottom borders exactly overlapped remains within the tab as expected. Place the same tab object inside another tab and position it with the inspector with the fact same co-ordinates and it spills into the other top level tabs.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a tab object with two tabs (A and B). Inside tab A place a new tab object (A1) where the bottom borders are the same distance from the top. i.e the bottom borders sit onto of one another.

Click between tab A and B and tab A1 remains inside tab A as expected. Copy Tab A1 and paste it inside Tab B. Rename this tab B1. Use the inspector to position the tab with the same coordinates as tab A1. Move between tab A and B and note that this new tab is visible under Tab A and Tab B.

Expected result

That the tab objects with the same co-co-ordiantes should remind within their designated top level tab.

Actual result

Tab is visible in both tabs

Workaround

Click on the Tab B1 and use the keyboard to move it one point up then down one point. The co-ordinates are the same but the tab now acts as expected.

• 1. Re: Tab objects inside tab objects alignment problem
          arnoldkegebein

Hi Simon,

I do not think this is a bug. IMHO this is actual a great feature. Let me explain why.

In FileMaker 12 there is a change in behavior regarding tab controls and portals. An object inside the boundaries of a tab control is not automatically assigned to it. This is a desired feature for multiple reasons. Here is one:

When you move a tab control to a psoition with multiple smaller objects, in the past (FileMaker 11) the tab control was greedy. It automatically grabbed these objects (assigned them to the tab control). Moving the tab control would also move the objects. That was bad and created some pain with developers, changing their layouts unintentionally. This does not happen with FileMaker 12. Now you have to assign an object to the tab control (and portal) by moving it with the mouse inside the tab control. Otherwise it is just positioned at the same position but is not attached to the tab control.

Try this:

• Create a tab control.
          • Create an object and move it with the mouse inside the tab control.
          • Use the Inspector to move this object so far right, that part of it would be outside the tab control.

In FileMaker 12, this object is visual cut at the right border of the tab control. The part of the object that is outside the tab control is invisible, but the object ist still assigned to the tab control.

In FileMaker 11, this object would be outside of the tab contol.

I hope my explaination helps you to understand the new behavior in FileMaker 12.

Regards, Arnold Kegebein

• 2. Re: Tab objects inside tab objects alignment problem
            simonclement

My concern was that in some incidences the tab control appeared not to be in the other tab control even when it clearly was.

By moving the tab control one point up and then down one point, essentially retuning the tab to its original place it was now deemed to be inside the tab control.

Perhaps the problem was that the tab control should be clearly inside the other tab control, even if just by one point, to be considered inside.

Either way I'm still getting used to the differences in object manipulation in 12.

For example copying a tiny object from halfway down the screen then trying to paste it into a layout with very little vertical height makes 12 insist on adjusting the layout even though the object is clearly small enough to fit.

Seems to be that 12 is trying to place the object exactly as it was on the previous screen.

Sometimes this is great but other times requires a lot of object duplication and dragging around.

So perhaps I just need to learn to love what now seem to be bugs but are intact features.

Thanks for your input!

Simon