2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2010 5:38 PM by MorganJones-OnePartHarmony

Tabbing from one "Position" field to next on Inspector fails to select entire value on Windows

MorganJones-OnePartHarmony

Summary

Tabbing from one "Position" field to next on Inspector fails to select entire value on Windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

In layout mode, with an object selected, tabbing from one "Position" field to the next (e.g. from "Left" to "Top") in the Inspector ("Position" tab) does not select the entire existing value when using FMP 11 or FMP 11 Advanced on Windows Vista, XP, or Server 2003. (The entire value is selected in this situation on Mac, making it quick and easy to enter a new value.)

This is a change from behavior in FMP 10, wastes keystrokes, time, and mental energy, and is clearly different behavior between platforms.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See "Description"

Expected result

See "Description"

Actual result

See "Description"

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

N/A

Workaround

Must use mouse or keyboard shortcut to select entire value of a "Position" field before typing a new value.

• 1. Re: Tabbing from one "Position" field to next on Inspector fails to select entire value on Windows
          LaRetta_1

Hi One Part Harmony,

Yes indeed and it bothers many of us (there are other posts here in bugs about it).  It was reported when Inspector first came out and it wasn't fixed in the Updater (although we know it would be a simple fix for FMI).  Select entire contents on the field when entering - that is all it would take - so that when we type, it REPLACES the value.  Soooooo simple to fix, such a PIB for us and FMI blows it off.

Thank you for bringing it up again but I wouldn't hold my breath.  FMI has many bugs which hurt us and many of them would be very easy to fix but they will never be fixed.  How can I say that?  Because the broken pop-up in header has been broken for four complete versions now (and I could give another 30 examples but I won't).  Simply, you (and many of us) are doing our part in letting FMI know about the bugs.  Before they used to say that they didn't know about them and that's why they were never fixed.  Now they have no excuse and it is very clear that coming out with new products (such as GO) so they can haul in the profits is more important than providing descent service for their existing products.

If we developers left our solutions full of bugs and never fixed them, we'd be out of business.  FMI gets around that issue by pulling new, poor unsuspecting customers in with fancy promises and new products.  Many more customers (and many very large corporations) are cutting loose from their poor business practice and moving on but FMI just continues to fill their pockets and smile.

• 2. Re: Tabbing from one "Position" field to next on Inspector fails to select entire value on Windows
            MorganJones-OnePartHarmony

LaRetta,

I know how you feel. Most folks to whom I evangelize FileMaker as a development environment would find it strange that in 2010 and the 11th major release, we still cannot do a find (let alone a find/replace) within a script without using a plug-in. Oh and displaying a dialog box does not guarantee that all text will be visible.  ?????

How amateurish these things seem to me ...

But today I am feeling generous and grateful, so I confidently predict FMI will fix this small but massively irritating bug very soon. 11.0v3?

And as I am fortunate to earn my daily bread with FileMaker, I have to remember the lesson of my sagely macrobiotic guru: "The bigger the front ... the bigger the back."