Mac OS 10.5.8

Description of the issue

I have the following tables:
      PROJECTS
      NOTES

These tables are related via the following fields:
      ProjectName
      ProjectID

(I would normally use just the ProjectName, but the database I have to work with on this project uses both and that can not be changed)

There is a portal that pulls in all NOTES records, sorted by date, for their respective PROJECT.

Now, I wanted to create a separate layout for a client that only shows records from a certain date to the present.  Rather than mess with the original relationship, I created a table occurrence of the NOTES table and related it to the PROJECT table with the same relationship, but the results in the portal are not the same.  When I portal to the original NOTES table, everything works, but when portaled to the NOTES table occurrence I get a lot of duplicate records being pulled in.

I'm not very familiar with table occurrences, so maybe it's a simple thing I'm overlooking, but I don't understand why a table and a table occurrence when related in the same way would give different results in the same portal.

Please let me know if I can give more details to clarify my question.  I haven't even gotten to the point of trying to figure out how to pull in records from a certain date to the present (basically omitting the ones before), so any ideas on that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Table Occurrence / Portal Discrepancy
          philmodjunk

This might help:  Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

Do you have multiple records in projects with the same project ID? If not, then you do not have to use both project name and project ID in your relationship. That's a complication to avoid if at all possible. (Just because the project relies on a ProjectName to uniquely identify it does not mean you have to use it in a relationship if the ProjectID is unique in each project record.)

If your new portal is displaying different records than the first, then there is some difference in how you have set up the relationship. Or you are using a layout based on a different table occurrence than your original layout. (All layouts are based on a table occurrence as listed in "Show Records From" in Layout Setup...

You'll have to investigate carefully to find that difference

• 2. Re: Table Occurrence / Portal Discrepancy
            PaulK

I read your tutorial on table occurrences and my answer became obvious.  I was not changing the fields in the portal from the first table occurrence to the second.  Problem solved!  Thanks!

-Paul