Summary

Taking data from a single field and making it a repeating field

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX

Description of the issue

I have a field, which has anywhere from 1 string of 5 characters up to 5 strings of 5 characters. I want to place them into a repeating field.

Expected result

The purpose is so that I can create a relationship with a different database, from any of the strings. I already have created the relationship and it works, but not sure how to make this change and have it continually update when new records are created.

• 1. Re: Taking data from a single field and making it a repeating field
          philmodjunk

I think you need to rethink your database structure here.

Repeating fields work differently than single repetition fields when used as match fields in a relationship. Any value in any repetition can match to a record in the related table.

If you enter these values in 3 repetitions of the same table: Apple, Orange, Kiwi

Then your record will match to any records on the other side of the relationship where you have Apple, Orange OR Kiwi in the field.

PS, this portion of the forum is intended for reporting possible software bugs. If you post this type of request over in the FM PRo Forum, (See tab at top of this screen), you will get reponses from more people and more quickly than you will here.