Text Clipping When Using Line Spacing; Other

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP Advanced 11.0v2

Operating system version

Windows XP32

Description of the issue

A text block with merged text data clips the lower half of the last line when formatted Line Space adds .5 lines above each paragraph. The text block is plenty long to accomodate all the merged text without clipping, regarless of how many lines.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a text block with plenty of unused space at the bottom.
      2. Insert into the text block a couple merge fields that will result in a few lines of text. The problem appears to only occur with merged fields, not with text inserted into the block.
      3. Format the text block Line Spacing to Other and add .5 lines above the text. Alignment remains at the default (top).
      4. Preview the text to see the lower half of the last line clipped.

Expected result

This database was created and formatted in FMP 10 Advanced and worked fine. I expected, in the Preview mode and printed document, to have a half line spacing above each paragraph and for the text block to automatically close up and print only the pages necessary to include the entire last line of text from the last merged field.

Actual result

In FMP 11 Advanced, the text block closes up too far and clips the lower half of the last line of the merged text. It will not clip the last line if I use zero line spacing above or below the line or if I use static text that is not merged. It occurs on single pages and multiple pages.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

N/A

Workaround

Add a return after the last merged field, but this sometime ends up creating a blank page since many of my letters created end up long enough to go just to the bottom of the first page, but not beyond.

FMP11_Merged_Text_Clipping.jpg

• 1. Re: Text Clipping When Using Line Spacing; Other

dont88:

Thank you for your post.

I was unable to reproduce this issue. Are you able to create a new database with the clipped text? We can do some testing here if you would like to send us one of your files.

I have sent you a private message with instructions for sending us your database. Please check your Inbox near the top of the page.

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Text Clipping When Using Line Spacing; Other
            philmodjunk

Hmm, perhaps this is the page break text clipping bug:  FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6

Can't tell for sure how close to the bottom edge of the page you might be for this line of text--so this may not be this particular issue.

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bugs List here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:   http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 3. Re: Text Clipping When Using Line Spacing; Other
              dont88_1

I created a new database in FMPA 11 with three text fields and a text block with the three fields merged into it and a .5 line spacing above each paragraph and could not recreate the problem.

I've checked the same database on FMPA 10 and confirmed that the text block worked fine in that version. Another related item in this text block is that page breaks always used to fall between lines, but in FMPA 11 they show half a line on the bottom of page one and the lower half of the line on the top of page two. I've shifted the text block slightly to correct this, but is may continue to give problems depending on the number of paragraph breaks and .5 line spacing above each paragraph.

At this point, I'll apply my work arounds and live with it since it must be a problem with my particular database file and not the FMPA 11 application.

• 4. Re: Text Clipping When Using Line Spacing; Other
                philmodjunk

"Another related item in this text block is that page breaks always used to fall between lines, but in FMPA 11 they show half a line on the bottom of page one and the lower half of the line on the top of page two."

That's the issue the link I posted describes. FileMaker 10 does not have this bug, 11 does.