Text color of tab name

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v5

Operating system version

OSX 10.10.4

Description of the issue

I have 6 tab panels. Three are light in color and 3 are dark. I'd like the dark panels to have white as the text for the tab name and black for the light panels. Instructions on the Web say you can select a tab, hold the shift and double click another panel to select multiple panels. I do this and select bold white for the color. When I go back to browse mode, ALL the tab names are white in the active state. Is it possible to have multiple colors for the tab names?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a tab with 6 panels, 3 with a dark color and 3 with light color. Select the three dark panels by selecting one panel, hold down shift key, click twice on second dark panel. Do the same with the third. Change the text color to white.

Do the same with the light panels, changing the text color to black. Enter Browse Mode. All text panels have black text.

Expected result

Three panels should have black color for tab names and three should have white.

Actual result

All tab names are white.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Workaround

Changed the tab name color to black and lightened the panels enough so that names were readable.

• 1. Re: Text color of tab name
          TSGal

Michael Wile:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the issue with both FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Pro 14 under both Mac OS X 10.10.4 and Windows 7.  Text Color cannot be applied separately to each tab panel.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

As a workaround, consider using buttons over the tabs.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Text color of tab name
            TSGal

Michael Wile:

Testing and Development replied that Font, size, style and color for a Tab Control apply to all the tab labels.

The suggestion is to create object names for each tab label and use Conditional Formatting or TextColor function in a calculated label to apply the style.  For example,

Assuming the second tab panel label is named "Two", the Conditional Formatting calculation could be:

Let ( [ tab = "Two" ;
               isMatch = If ( Self = tab ; true ; false ) ;
               isFront = GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( tab ; "isFrontPanel" ) ] ;
            If ( isMatch and isFront ; True ; False ) )

Or, put object name on each tab panel and set calculated button label like:

Let ( [ tab = "Two" ;
               isFront = GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( tab ; "isFrontPanel" ) ] ;
            If ( isFront ; TextColor ( tab ; RGB ( 0 ; 0 ; 0 ) ; tab ) )

-----

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Text color of tab name
              philmodjunk

I must respectfully ask where in the documentation this is documented? The interface leads the user to assume that these properties CAN be set independently just as you can set the panel fill color independently.

And this represents a LOSS of functionality. I direct you to the FMP Bugs layout in the Known Bugs List. If you hover the mouse over the tab labels, their appearance changes. This was set up in some earlier version--12 I think. But I cannot use FileMaker 13 to set the appearance of tab labels in the same way.

• 4. Re: Text color of tab name
                MichaelWile

It would be nice if FileMaker could just fix the problem. As for the conditional formatting suggested, it's not even necessary. You can just put a textbox with the active color over the old label. It only shows when the tab is selected; no calculation necessary. That's how I've gotten around it in the past.

• 5. Re: Text color of tab name
                  philmodjunk

But that does not result in an appearance change when you HOVER the mouse over a tab panel label.

• 6. Re: Text color of tab name
                    TSGal

PhilModJunk and Michael Wile:

This is not documented that I can find.  I have put in a request to make sure this appears in future documentation.  I also advise to enter this into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are read by Product Management and Development where the suggestions are discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Text color of tab name
                      philmodjunk

Yes, but please note that we are asking for the return of a capability that apparently existed in v12 that was lost in v13.

• 8. Re: Text color of tab name
                        TSGal

MichaelWile:

This has now been documented in FileMaker Pro 15 Help:

Help -> Formatting object, layout parts and the layout background -> formatting panel controls

Under the sub-section "Change the format of a tab panel's name", it includes the statement:

"Text options for a tab panel’s name apply to all panels."

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.