Summary

Text cut off at top

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.9.1

Description of the issue

Some text is cut off at top when printed. The same document looks fine in FM12.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I'm using a Postscript version of Helvetica Neue Condensed.

Workaround

Make the field larger and justified to center or bottom.

font_cut_off.png

• 1. Re: Text cut off at top
          carlsson_1

I can't see the file. Let me try with another format.

Edit: Interesting, it works with .jpg but not .png...

• 2. Re: Text cut off at top
            philmodjunk

In FileMaker 13, you can also use the Inspector's Appearance tab to reduce the "padding" specified for above and below the text.

• 3. Re: Text cut off at top
              pethar

No, the padding on top only moves all lines down.
              The text are still cut of in the top of the first line in text fields, both on screen and when printed.

Have also tried different settings for line spacing with same result.
              For single line fields a work around is to change the alignment from top to center or bottom, but not in multiple line fields.

Everything was fine in previous versions of FM, but not in FM 13.
              Are there any other solution for this bug?

OS X 10.8.5
              FileMaker Pro 13.0v3

• 4. Re: Text cut off at top
                TSGal

Peter:

Thank you for your posts.

Have you tried using a TrueType font?  Does any other font also exhibit this behavior?  If so, are they also Postscript fonts?  Where was the Helvetica Neue Condensed font obtained?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Text cut off at top
                  pethar

I guess it´s the standard fonts in OS X, all "True Type" or "Datafork True Type".

The Times and the Helvetica fonts are cut of in the top, not Helvetica Neue or Times New Roman.

Helvetica Neue is ok on both screen and print (Datafork True Type, Version: 8.0d6e1) and also Times New Roman (True Type, Version: Version 5.05)

Times which we are using in our layouts doesn´t work and neither does Helvetica.
                  True Type Version: 7.0d1e1 and 8.0d3e1.

Something appears to differ between the fonts.

• 6. Re: Text cut off at top
                    TSGal

Peter:

If Times and Helvetica TrueType fonts are being cut-off, then it could either be a file issue or a font issue.  Please send in a copy of your database file so I can try it here and help narrow the cause.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Text cut off at top
                      TSGal

Peter:

I received your file, and I'm able to reproduce the issue using the Times font.  The tops of the font are truncated.  Using the Inspector to add padding to the top of the field merely pushes down the display and does not reveal the tops of the characters.  This does work properly under FileMaker Pro 12.

I have sent your post and findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you (and carlsson) know.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Text cut off at top
                        TSGal

All:

I forgot to mention that this issue only occurs under Mac OS X.  That is, under Windows 7, the issue does not occur.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Text cut off at top
                          harlowtech

Just wanted to chime in here, this problem is impacting multiple clients with several different fonts. Unfortunately we can not really change the font as is it their corporate font for outside reports/invoices etc.

Daniel

• 10. Re: Text cut off at top
                            TSGal

Daniel Harlow (et al):

Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue.  When more information becomes available, I will let everyone know.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Text cut off at top
                              philmodjunk

Issue reports this old do not automatically appear in the Recent Items list and I almost missed this one.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 12. Re: Text cut off at top
                                harlowtech

One quick note on this, the workaround of Centering the Text does not always work, with a client who was using Trade Gothic, even centering the text it still seems to be cut off.

• 13. Re: Text cut off at top
                                  DeanMorris

Hi all,

Was there a solution to this? Im having the exact same problem.

Thanks

Dean Morris

deanmorris7@icloud.com

• 14. Re: Text cut off at top
                                    TSGal

Dean Morris:

Thank you for your post.

There is no new information at this time.  Testing and Development have confirmed the issue, and have reported Helvetica, Times, Skia and Hoefler fonts are affected, and there may be other fonts.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When any new information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next