1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 12:48 PM by TSGal

Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

Summary

Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 64 bit

Description of the issue

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reply to the last comment on this topic. I keep clicking on the link in the e-mail message I received, but the page doesn't appear to have any button or link to reply, so I am forced to start a new thread.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I worked with this again and it appears to be a word wrap problem. FMA 13 simply isn't allowing for the space occupied by the scrollbar. The text never extends past the right most scrollbar border. If I remove the scrollbar, it wraps correctly to the field border.

I initially thought it was corruption in the popover control because when I replaced and typed some text in the box it appeared to wrap correctly. However, I must not have been typing exactly the same text or making the width of the text box exactly the same size. When I duplicate the box in the screenshot to exactly the same pixel size, then copy and paste the text into the duplicate, I get the same wrapping problem. It seems to be an issue with the length of the words at the end of line, relative to the size of the box. It even happens when I put the text box on the layout, outside the popover (so it doesn't appear to be a popover issue either, as I originally suspected).

• 1. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)
          TSGal

Edward J. Rubeo:

If you are logged in, you should have a section "Post a new Answer" at the bottom of the page where you enter a reply.

Regardless, I am still unable to replicate the issue.  I have copied and pasted text from different databases, text documents, etc.  I tried to mimic your popover from your original posting at:

Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover

See if you can type the information into the field to see if the text wraps incorrectly.  Also, what is the font you are using?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

Okay. I can post now. I assume, before, I wasn't logged in.

As previously stated, any method of entry in any field of the same size yields the same result. If you change the text, it may wrap correctly. Or if you change the size of the field (Most of the time, it does.) But I have seen this happen quite a few times now, with different text each time, so I grabbed a screenshot of the most recent one.

The font used is Verdanna 10 pt. The size of the text box is 388 pt (width) x 197 (height).

I have been developing FileMaker solutions for about 20 years now. In that time I have created quite a lot of text fields with scrollbars (most of them in this font, because it is common to all platforms, distributed free, and it was developed to look good at small point sizes). I have never seen a word wrap problem like this where text overwrites the scrollbar.

• 3. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

Okay, this is getting worse. This morning, I started my solution and ALL the fields with scrollbars are exhibiting the same problem (see screenshot). I just checked them last night and only the one I used for the first screenshot was overwriting the scrollbar area.

• 4. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

I was able to restore the text boxes by unchecking the "Use Roman language line-breaking" option in File Options, then restarting the solution and re-checking it. Unfortunately, the original text box is still failing to take into account the scrollbar when wrapping. And, if I copy and paste the text into any text box of the same dimensions with a scrollbar, I get the same error. The text never goes past the text box boundaries; it simply treats the scrollbars as if they aren't there. It must be connected to whatever calculation is used to determine where words break not taking into account the scrollbars for words of a certain length at the end of the line.

• 5. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

More info -- this issue is happening on a converted file originally built in fp7 format. This causes the scrollbars to be narrower than any of the scrollbars in the other themes. It is desirable in this solution because it leaves more space for calendar entries. It also looks better in the popovers, taking up less room and being more consistent with the underlying calendar layout.

The problem, it seems, is that the word wrap feature does not take into account the differences in the width of the scrollbars. Why it is overwriting them, rather than leaving extra space as I would expect.

• 6. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)
                    TSGal

Edward J. Rubeo:

Thank you for the additional information.

I'm still unable to replicate the issue with the font and measurements provided.  I've also tried creating the file in FileMaker Pro 11, upgrading the file to FileMaker Pro 13, and I still cannot reproduce the issue.

In case the layout is damaged, try creating a new layout (do not duplicate), and place only the popover with the field on the new layout and see if you still encounter the issue.

Do you have another Windows/Mac machine available?  If so, does the issue occur on that machine, too?

Let me know if you have any other information that can help me replicate the issue.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

I tried creating a text box with scrollbars on a new layout and had the same issues. It doesn't matter if the text box with the scrollbars is in a popover or not. Every text box with a scrollbar does it, if you place text in it that wraps at a point where it would not wrap without the scrollbars. 

I also created a new text box with scrollbars another layout with a different theme and it worked fine. When I changed to my customized version of the theme assigned when the file was converted, the problem returns. Ditto if I keep the stock theme and just copy the field attributes from the original.

This is a new version of a Made-for-FileMaker solution that is a big seller, especially overseas, in part because the small scrollbar size does not make the calendar Month panel too big to be useful. I'm holding up its release until this issue is resolved or I can find a workaround.

If you work for FileMaker, I can send you a copy of my master solution file, if that would help you determine the source of the problem. Just send me your e-mail address. (The file is about 3MB when zipped.)

• 8. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)
                        TSGal

Edward J. Rubeo:

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

I have been able to get this to work by creating the text field with scrollbar in a new layout based on one of the standard FM 13 themes and manually specifying every visual attribute. However, it leaves me with scrollbars that look disproportionately large compared to those used on portals throughout the solution.

If I copy the attributes to one of the text boxes with scrollbars on the original layout, the width of the scrollbar does not expand.

If I then copy the attributes of the modified field (which retains the original scrollbar width + the manually applied replication of the original styles) this appears to work.

This is a heck of a work around. It would be nice if users could control the width of scrollbars, to maximize the amount of space available for text in situations like this.

• 10. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

Screenshot of popup with corrected scrollbars, as described above. (I'm not sure if you can tell the difference in scrollbar width, from the screenshot. However, in the actual file, it is significant.

• 11. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)
                              TSGal

Edward J. Rubeo:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to replicate the issue.  However, if in a new Layout using the custom Calendar theme, I am unable to replicate the issue.  I have sent the file to our Technical Support contact, so you should receive an email shortly.  If you don't receive the file within one hour, please let me know, and I'll make sure the file is sent immediately.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)
                                TSGal

Edward J. Rubeo:

I received the updated file from you, but the scrolling is working properly.  Below is a screen shot from Layout #2, where it fails under the original layout.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)

That's not what I am seeing on my PC running Windows 7, 64-bit version. (See screen capture.)

Are you by any chance using a Mac?

• 14. Re: Text fails to wrap in text box with scrollbar in popover (More Info)
                                    TSGal

Edward J. Rubeo:

I have a Windows 7 machine, but it currently does not have Verdana font installed.  With all other fonts, it displays correctly.

When I come into the office on Monday, I'll find a Windows machine with Verdana font installed so I can test it.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next