1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 7:07 AM by TSGal

Thai Language Support

MnvBangkok

Summary

Thai Language Support

Description of the issue

I am interested to use Filemaker Pro  for my business.I need to enter information in the Thai Language. I downloaded the trial version - and realized that it does not allow me to enter  subscript and superscript  characters ( like accents ).--- another post referenced these characters: (in Unicode) 0E34-0E39, 0E47-0E4E,  Mac OSX has no problem with this , but Filemaker doesn't accept or save the input .   Please let me know if this can be fixed soon , because I would like to use Filemaker.I'm sure you will  attract many more Thai customers once you have it fixed.  

• 1. Re: Thai Language Support
          TSGal

MnvBangkok:

Thank you for your post.

Thai is not a language we support.  However, you may want to check out WinSoft at:

http://www.winsoft-international.com/en/

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Thai Language Support
            bkkjim

I am in the exact same situation, evaluating FMP11 for use in Thailand.  I don't think official Thai support is necessary--just fix the bug that doesn't allow it to be properly entered in normal text edit fields.  At least it looks like a pretty basic bug, although it has been around for years according to forums.  What is interesting is that popup menus and dialog boxes do accept Thai text, so there are workarounds with a little scripting albeit a bit clumsy.  Sorting in Thai happens on the first letter, so words with beginning vowels aren't ordered correctly in Thai.  That might be a bit tougher to implement.  But I would think you could fix the input bug without much trouble and make some people happy, even without the sorting or other Thai support.  Right now I'm trying to decide if this is a deal-breaker or not.  Winsoft International doesn't seem to have it in Thai. 

• 3. Re: Thai Language Support
              TSGal

MnvBangkok and bkkjim:

I encourage you to enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

Although I could copy your posts and paste them into the web form, there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

These web form entries are read by members of Development and Product Management.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Thai Language Support
                PaiboonBusayarak

Hi TSGal.

One weird thing is that BENTO (personal database by FileMaker) works with Thai Language, with subscript and superscript character entering, but doesn't work with FMP11. Isn't that weird? I think it's really a bug.

Please take note that 'Super/Sub Script' character for other languages (like Russian, Hibrew) come-in together with main character as "one single keyboard stroke", but in Thai it is another keystroke on its own separated from the main character keyboard stroke. (and appear on top[or below] of each other) 

P.S.

Work Around for Text Entering, by just copy and paste. Copy any Thai character from other application (say MS Words) and then simply paste it on FMP11 record. FMP can store your super/sub script character.

I think it's really a buy on FMP11. (but Bento doesn't carry this bug)

• 5. Re: Thai Language Support
                  TSGal

Palboon Busayarak:

Thank you for your post.

I have forwarded your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.

Bento is designed to work solely with Mac OS X 10.5 and above.  FileMaker Pro is designed to work with both Windows and Mac OS X, so there will be some differences in font display.  As soon as I hear information back from either Development or Testing, I will let you know.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Thai Language Support
                    AlecJohnson

Oh dear.... How foolish am I?   I am english though live and run a business in Thailand.   I recently tried out file maker and thought it would serve my needs and so bought a copy.   I then proceeded to create a large number of databases and systems through which to manage my business.   Field names and labels can all be entered in English and Thai with no problem.   I'd got all the appropriate translations of field names from English to Thai by some one more clever than I and had carefully pasted them in to their respective fields.    After countless hours of work, my system was complete....  We have both Thai and English speaking clients, so I'd tried out the relevant connections with English data.....  then I asked my staff to begin the Thai data entry.....  As I asked at the beginning, how foolish am I?    Was it too much to expect for Thai to be supported in Data entry when it can be typed manually or pasted in when creating field names, database names etc...

Is there any update on, and hope of a fix to, this issue any time soon?   If not, what is Filemaker's refund policy?   Can any one else recommend a suitable alternative for Mac OSX?

• 7. Re: Thai Language Support
                      diowcnx

Verion 12 was released but Thai input still incomplete !!! Do you have any update from your Development and Testing departments ?

Regards,

• 8. Re: Thai Language Support
                        TSGal

Suchart Sriwichai:

There is no additional update at this time.  I have attached your post to the original case.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Thai Language Support
                          diowcnx

Hi,

This is a year 2013 and I think Thai script should not a major problem for you. As I can see , it nearly complete buy why don't FileMaker make it work ? 

I am opened the filemaker community in Thai call fmpthailand.com and I always suggest user to buy Filemaker if they decided to use it. The major problem for us was Thai script. Many people want to but it but need to buy the other product becuase it was not support Thai language. I have someone from the internet modified the installer to make it work with Thai but it still not for all of Thai fonts.

You can download and check his modification at http://www.fmpthailand.com/2012/12/link-download.html.  May be you will get an idea to complete the next version of Filemaker with Thai script. I hope you can have someone there to read Thai on my web. 

We hope Filemaker 12.x will come up soon with 100% Thai Script support. I love to use Filemaker.

Regards,

• 10. Re: Thai Language Support
                            StevenNathanCole

Hi, I would like to add to this forum my agreement in the need for FMP to support Thai font data entry. Our preference is to use FMP as it works across platforms (Mac and PC) with various people within our organisation using either one of these platforms. At the moment we only have one development licence for FMP and I hesitate to proceed with further development of our DB system and the purchase of additional user licences until I am confident that this can be reasonably addressed and used to meet our DB needs. 

As mentioned in earlier entries, I have been able to cut and paste Thai text into field with no problems and likewise into Value List's however this is a clumsy soluation and not appropriate for our non-English speaking staff to be doing as a normal form of data entry in the longer term. In general, I am surprised that FMP will not allow entry of the sub/super script keystrokes especially given it recognised when cut and paste into the fields. 

Is anyone able to confirm that the Windows version of FMP supports the full Thai font script (which was hinted in an earlier post). If so, then the use of FMP may still be an option as most of our staff use PC's. 

Either way, it woudl be great to be able to allow text entry of the full Thai script for both platforms.

Regards.  

• 11. Re: Thai Language Support
                              ChetChetsandtikhun

I'd like to join the call for FMP to fully support Thai script.  I have a Mac shop and desperately need a proper database system.  FMP 12 is almost a fully functional in Thai.  I believe many Mac users are willing to commit to FMP once the Thai script is fully supported.

Regards,

• 12. Re: Thai Language Support
                                soundtek86

Has this changed in FMP 13?

I have 12 and was looking to upgrade if they have added thai language support.

• 13. Re: Thai Language Support
                                  TSGal

soundtek86:

Thai language has not been added to FileMaker Pro 13.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Thai Language Support
                                    paolobkk

I used a FMP5 solution in a Thai company long time ago without any problem..

Then I've been developing a FMP11 solution in another  thai company for more than 4 years now.

Also another freelance job for another company in Bangkok and for all this time no one Thai user mentioned about this problem as they were using mostly English language in the field....

Now I'm developing another FMP12 solution for another client and just last week I discover that some thai characters are not working since FMP7!!! 

Many forums are talking about this and no fix has been applied yet. This is quite sad!!!

The only work around I found is to make a dialog box for every input field. This can be ok but way NOT cool for a solution to use every day for work.

Hope this gets fixed soon!

1 2 Previous Next