2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2013 3:28 AM by MikhailEdoshin

The constrained movement mode has degraded (2/2)

MikhailEdoshin

Summary

The constrained movement mode has degraded (2/2)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Both

Description of the issue

To move an object along the horizontal or vertical axis you need to hold the Shift key. But you cannot hold it and start moving the object, because this will be interpreted as selection or deselection. You need to start moving first and then hold the Shift key.

In v11 you could move the object someplace but once you pressed the Shift key, it immediately snapped to one of axis relatively to the original position and you could move it where desired (see the post 1/2 for the description of how it automatically swapped the axes to follow your intentions). In v12, however, it enters the constraining mode, but it uses the CURRENT position of the object as the reference point.

So you see the problem: I have to start moving the object before I can press Shift to constrain its movement; but once I've moved it, it went away from the position I wanted to constrain to and FileMaker constrains the movement to the wrong position.

I'd say this is a fairly serious issue because in v12 you have to move objects with the mouse to bless them to be owned by a portal or a tab; other methods of movement do not work.

Steps to reproduce the problem

In layout move start moving some object without holding the Shift key. Now press the Shift key.

Expected result

The object jumps to align with the original position (before dragging) either by horizontal or by vertical coordinate (which one doesn't matter, as you can easily swap them later).

Actual result

The object doesn't jump anywhere; it enters the constrained movement mode, but it uses the current position as the reference point.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A.

Configuration information

N/A.

Workaround

None. This quirk makes Shift-dragging practically useless as it negates the very idea of Shift-dragging.

ConstrainingMovements2.png

• 1. Re: The constrained movement mode has degraded (2/2)

Mikhail Edoshin:

Thank you for the post.

For a full list of the documented changes to Layout Mode in FileMaker Pro 12, please refer to FileMaker's knowledge base article 10260:

Layout Mode Enhancements in FileMaker Pro

What are some of the new Layout mode enhancements in FileMaker Pro?

The change to the shift-click behavior is mentioned in the article above. Thank you for providing additional clarification. 

Additionally, if the goal of this post is to see this change reverted to the behavior in FileMaker Pro 11, then I would encourage you to enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html 

These web form suggestions are monitored and read by our Development and Product Management departments and then discussed and considered for a future release. Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: The constrained movement mode has degraded (2/2)
            MikhailEdoshin

[This is the same comment I've just posted to the post 1/2 of this series, feel free not to read it. I must admit it looks a bit too corporatish to shell out copypasted texts; I hope this won't escalate.]

Thank you for this interesting document, but it seems that it is not relevant in this case. The document only talks about using the Shift key when resizing objects; I'm talking about moving objects. (I agree that using the Shift key to resize an object is no longer necessary, because objects now have side handles that do the same job.) The document does not mention constrained movement at all; I think it's an oversight and maybe this explains the sorry state of constrained movement in v12.

The document does mention dynamic guides, but these guides are not a substitute for constrained movement mode. The guides snap to other objects; the constrained movement mode is supposed to snap to the original position of the object being moved.

The document also mentions plain guides, and yes, these can be used to facilitate constrained movement, but this is way more complex. Assume I want to move an object strictly along the vertical axis. In v11 I simply drag it and hold the Shift key at any time to enter the constrained movement mode; this takes a fraction of a second. To use guides for this I have to do the following: show Rulers (a visit to the menu or a four-key shortcut), carefully drag a guide out of a ruler (carefully, because guides do not snap to anything, I need to position them precisely) and then start moving the object. Even if the rulers are already visible, dragging out a guide and positioning it exactly where I want it to be can take seconds and this is exactly what I'm takling about: in v12 I have to spend much more time to achieve the same result as in v11. First I thought twice as much, now I think more along at least four times as much.

Now let's assume FileMaker designers has planned a clever way to move an object strictly horizontally or strictly vertically and just forgot to tell us, and we, being far less clever, just fail to realize what it is. But the old way still kind of works! If you press the Shift key you do enter this constrained movement mode, except that it's much harder to do this the way you wanted! And if the old way is still sort of there and it is much worse than it used to be, how can it be not a bug?

I can submit this as a feature request, but a feature request must be something you're proud to talk about. Would you be proud to announce that you brought back something that otherwise haven't changed since v3? Some feature.