John The Quilter:
Thank you for your post.
These are the types of posts that are extremely difficult to answer, because a set number of records have disappeared and no one knows why. It is unlikely that Filemaker Pro deleted those records on its own, but it is possible. Do you remember the last time you saw the 498 records and what you did before you noticed it was down to 470 records? I don't expect you to remember, but if you do, that could be important.
Since you reentered the missing 28 records, do you see any commonality to those 28 recods? I ask that in case you performed a Find, and the found set included those 28 records, and then you accidentally/unknowingly deleted them.
I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.
You said....Do you remember the last time you saw the 498 records and what you did before you noticed it was down to 470 records? I don't expect you to remember, but if you do, that could be important."
I do know exactly what I was doing. I had changed views to print one of the reports for this file. I was reviewing the records and noticed an error, so I closed the preview view and went back to the "quilt registration form view" that I used for entering the data. It was then that I noticed the record count was 470. I did the Ctrl J to show all records..all the records were showing.... The last 28 records were missing. Also the most recent finds that I had processed were not on the list of most recent. Also, one of the related tables (name and address file of registrants) had the two most recent entries were also deleted. They had been entered during the period of time the last 28 records were entered. That is why I had said it was if it had reverted to an earlier time. The corrections I had made to spelling errors in the field that is used for the narrative related to the quilts had reverted. I am absolutely positive about that because of the word applique. I have not way of typing it correctly because I can't enter the goofy little mark that is used. The spell checker in FMP will correct that.
You said "Since you reentered the missing 28 records, do you see any commonality to those 28 records? I ask that in case you performed a Find, and the found set included those 28 records, and then you accidentally/unknowingly deleted them."
i did not do a find for those records. I had thought of that and had indicated that in my post. The reports that I am preparing would not have separated those records. So I am very sure that I did not do that. It is the tear in the time-space continuim thingie. The database has been stable since then, no problems of any kind so I am at a complete loss. But I really dont' think it was idiot error.
Thanks for the clarification.
It definitely doesn't sound like an "idiot error".
It is possible there is corruption in the file, and this can affect and display the data in many ways. Many times, if you try to add data after corruption occurs, the data can be unstable and result in loss. However, you reported that you added back the data and appears to be stable. For the time being, I would use caution when proceeding and recommend keeping more frequent backups until you are satisfied with the stability.
One course of action is to use the Recover command (under the File menu). FileMaker Pro will do its best to reconstruct the file, indices, etc. It is definitely not a cure-all, but it could help. The best course of action is to rebuild the database (which I know takes a big time commitment), and import the data.